Sunday, February 26, 2017
Q. Whose snare of Troy Tulowitzki's line drive became a viral video sensation?
Hint: He was an All-Star in his first and last major league seasons.
Hint: Tommy John surgery interrupted the seasons in-between.
Hint: The Marlins have pledged to leave his locker un-touched.
- Missed parts of 2014 & 2015 to TJ surgery/recovery
- Marlins’ locker room
FCR - Jared Ravich, Durham, Oregon
Q. Who, at the start of the 2016 season, was rated the #1 prospect by mlb.com?
Hint: MLB must have been right: the Dodgers handed him the starting SS job and he won the Rookie of the Year Award unanimously.
Hint: He finished 3rd in MVP voting, his brother finished 12th.
A. COREY SEAGER
- Corey finished 3rd in NL MVP race, Kyle finished 12th in AL MVP voting.
FCR - David McMurray, Prairie Village, Kansas
Incorrect answers: Clayton Kershaw
Q. Who is the only Expos/Nationals player to win the Hank Aaron Award?
Hint: That same year he was a unanimous MVP winner.
Hint: He performed a rarity by hitting 42 home runs with fewer than 100 RBI that season.
A. BRYCE HARPER
- 42 HR, 99 RBI
FCR - David Skelton, Woodway, TX
Incorrect answers: Vladimir Guerrero, Andre Dawson
Q. Who became just the second Mets pitcher (after Walt Terrell in 1983) to hit two home runs in a game?
Hint: His nickname appropriately defines his strength.
Hint: He was the Blue Jays’ 3rd first-round pick in 2010.
- Nicknamed “Thor”
- Compensation pick for TOR failure to sign James Paxton; selected after Deck McGuire & Aaron Sanchez.
FCR - Daniel Wilson, St. Paul
Incorrect answers: Jacob Degrom, Steven Matz
Q. What pitcher, in just his sixth career start, earned the 3,000th win in Blue Jays history?
Hint: He was the Blue Jays’ compensation for losing Marco Scutaro to free agency.
Hint: A starter in the minors, he started his major league career with two perfect innings of relief.
Hint: He led the AL in winning percentage in 2016.
- TOR 3K 08-May-2015
- .882 % (15-2) in 2016
FCR - Isaac Buttke, Wausau, Wisconsin
Incorrect answers: Marco Estrada, R.A. Dickey, J.A. Happ
Q. Who is the youngest player to hit 50 doubles in a season?
Hint: He was the second position player (third overall) chosen in the 2010 draft.
Hint: He hit home runs in the first, second and third innings of a game.
Hint: He once “accidentally” flung his bat toward third base.
- hit 50th 2B at 21 y 69 d on 14-Sep-2013
- 3 HR 07-Aug-2016
- “Accident” 08-Jun-2014
FCR - Jake Hopper, Houston
Incorrect answers: Bryce Harper
Q. Which Red Sox outfielder bowled in the 2015 World Series of Bowling?
Hint: In 2016 he hit three home runs in the last game in May, then followed it up with two home runs in the first game in June.
Hint: He suffered a concussion when he fell over the wall while trying to rob Jose Abreu of a home run
Hint: He played only one game in his first pro season, batting .500.
A. MOOKIE BETTS
- HR concussion 28-Jul-2015
- 2-4 in 1 game for 2011 GCL Red Sox 26-Aug-2011
FCR - Rich Klein, Plano, Texas
Q. After Jeremy Bonderman in 2001, who was the next high school player chosen by the A’s in the first round of the draft?
Hint: He was named after a Bruce Willis character.
Hint: His name also matches the address of his team’s home field.
- Named after David Addison, Willis’ character in the TV show Moonlighting
FCR - Jason Hammon, Arlington, Texas
Incorrect answers: Dallas Braden
Q. After Derek Jeter in 2006-09, who was the next American League shortstop to win consecutive Silver Slugger Awards?
Hint: He was a member of the Gold Medal-winning 2011 WBC Dutch National Team.
Hint: He was the youngest player in the 2013 Red Sox spring training camp.
Hint: His twin brother was a Red Sox minor leaguer.
Hint: You know he’s a Double Unique.
- 2015-16 SS
- Twin brother Jair Bogaerts
FCR - Bill Carle, Lee’s Summit, Missouri
Incorrect answers: Alexi Ramirez, Troy Tulowitzki, Didi Gregorious
Q. Who was the only position player named to the World team for the 2012, 2013 and 2014 All-Star Futures Game?
Hint: He won the home run derby at the 2010 Aflac All-American Game.
Hint: He was the eighth overall pick the next year.
Hint: After Omar Vizquel in 2001, he was the next Indians shortstop to win a Gold Glove Award.
- 2016 GG
FCR - Vince Granieri, Cincinnati, Ohio
Incorrect answers: Jason Kipnis
Q. Who was the first post-WWII Pacific Coast League player to have a 30/30 season?
Hint: He was named the PCL Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year that season.
Hint: He lost the finals of his first MLB home run derby by one long ball.
Hint: He and his father played for the same team.
Hint: He would be a Double-Unique had his father not played in the majors.
A. JOC PEDERSON
- 33 HR, 30 SB for 2014 Albuquerque Isotopes
- Lost 2015 HR derby to Todd Frazier 15-14
- Only 2 Pedersons in MLB history
FCR - Isaac Buttke, Wausau, Wisconsin
Incorrect answers: Adam Duvall, Prince Fielder, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey, Jr., Tito Francona, Sean Burroughs
WEEKLY THEME – All-Stars born after the 01‑Feb‑1992 announced end of the Cold War.
Player DOB ASG
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – (Never happened.)
Incorrect theme guesses:
Tuesday - Players who won rookie of the year and finished 3rd in another major award in their rookie season.
- Players who were selected as All-Stars in their rookie seasons (or ROY season).
- ROY winners on the 2016 NL AS team
Wed - 2016 all-stars that were under 25 years of age
Thursday- 2016 All-Stars under the age of 25
- Players under 24 with the highest WAR in 2016
Questions archived here: http://horsehidetrivia.blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia home page: https://sites.google.com/site/tnfotobbpics/home/horsehide-trivia
Sunday, February 19, 2017
Q. What pitcher cinched his chances to be a Cy Young Award winner by capturing a victory in the season’s final game?
Hint: In that game, he surrendered a player’s 50th home run of the season, the only such season that batter ever had.
Hint: He is the last pitcher to throw 5 complete games in 5 consecutive starts in one calendar month.
Hint: In 2016, he was inducted into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame.
A. PAT HENTGEN
FCR - Paul Goodson, Cheyenne
Incorrect answers: Fergie Jenkins, Eric Gagne, Pedro Martinez, Dennis Martinez, Roy Halladay, Barry Zito
Q. What pitcher holds the record for most games in a season for the Red Sox franchise?
Hint: He owns 4 World Series rings.
Hint: Only 7 pitchers in history have appears in more MLB games.
A. MIKE TIMLIN
- 81 G in 2005 for BOS also led the AL that year. His 76 G in 2004 is 4th on the all-time list.
- 8th on the all-time list
FCR - Bob Kimball, Sutton, Massachusetts
Incorrect answers: Cy Young, Roger Clemens, Curt Schilling, Dennis Eckersley, Javier Lopez, Tim Wakefield, Keith Foulke Sparky Lyle. Ramiro Mendoza
Q. Who was the first pitcher to win the Baseball Digest Rookie of the Year Award?
Hint: He lost to his brother in his brother’s major league debut.
Hint: Describing his career in an interview, he once said, “For 10 years I saw the entire U.S. for free and had five months vacation.”
- BD ROY 1975
- On 31-May-1979, he made a start for TOR vs. DET, facing his younger brother Pat on the mound, as Pat made his big league debut. Tom hurled a complete game, but Pat took the win with a 1-0 shutout. Single run was a HR by Jerry Morales.
- Quote from in interview in the Kokomo Tribune.
FCR - Scott Matteson, Shawnee, Kansas
Incorrect answers: Don Newcombe Bob Forsch, Rick Reuschel, Jim Perry, Gaylord Perry, Jared Weaver, Jeff Weaver, Livan Hernandez, Todd Worrell, Pedro Martinez, Andy Benes, Bob Forsch, Joe Niekro, Ramiro Mendoza, Kelby Tomlinson, Sparky Lyle, Bob Grim
Q. What former Yankee pitcher was the first first-round draft pick to make his MLB debut for a first-place team in the same year he was drafted?
Hint: He gave up Carl Yastrzemski’s 400th career home run in 1979 then surrendered Mark McGwire’s 61st home run in 1998.
Hint: He was on the losing end of Dennis Martinez’ perfect game.
Hint: He pitched for a prodigious number of major league teams during his 22-year career.
Hint: He played on the first World Series winner this millennium.
A. MIKE MORGAN
- Drafted #4 overall by OAK in the 1978 June Amateur Draft. Made his MLB debut a week later 11-Jun-1978.
- Martinez perfecto 28-Jul-1991
- Played for 12 teams: 1978-2002: ARI, BAL, CHC, CIN, LAD, MIN, NYY, OAK, SEA, STL, TEX & TOR.
- Was on the D-Backs when they won it all in 2001.
FCR - Adam Balutis, Arlington, Virginia
Incorrect answers: David Cone, Eric Plunk, Tom Gordon
Q. Brian Roberts and ______________ were the first Orioles to both collect 30+ stolen bases in the same season?
Hint: He had been a 20/20 player for the Cubs just two years earlier.
Hint: In 9 of his 12 major league seasons he was in double-figures in stolen bases.
Hint: Dee Gordon tied him in 2016 in career stolen bases.
Hint: He is now the head coach of a collegiate wood-bat summer league.
Hint: His brother also played in the majors.
- 2004: 24 HR, 36 SB for CHC
- Dee Gordon reached 218 career SB, Patterson’s final total.
- Brother is former outfielder Eric Patterson.
FCR - Charley Riordan, Chevy Chase, Maryland
Incorrect answers: Brady Anderson, Julio Lugo, Jerry Hairston, Sammy Sosa
Q. Besides Omar Vizquel, who was the most recent Venezuelan shortstop to win a National League Gold Glove?
Hint: He too was an All-Star, but 11 times fewer than Vizquel.
Hint: He was designated for assignment by the Washington Nationals a mere 11 days after they had claimed him off waivers from the Brewers.
Hint: His half-brother had an 11-year career in the majors, also as an infielder.
Hint: His son has signed with the Mariners.
- AS for LAD in 2005.
- On 06-Aug-2012, WSN got him from MIL. They designated him for assignment 17-Aug, after only 4 AB’s. They then granted him free agency on 20-Aug.
- Half-brother Maicer Izturis.
FCR - Dan Massey, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Incorrect answers: Robin Yount, Alex Gonzalez
Q. What purple ground hog once piled up over 200 innings pitched for the Rangers, trailing only Charlie Hough and Jose Guzman for the team lead that season?
Hint: Thanks only to the generosity of the Seattle Mariners, the team did not finish last that year.
Hint: Later, when Don Zimmer was his manager, he had more than 20 starts in over 100 innings and helped his team to clinch only their second first-place finish in a decade in spited of Hall of Fame teammates on the mound and in the field.
Hint: That loaded team also had two former Rookie of the Year Award winners, one of whom later won a Cy Young Award.
Hint: He’s from the UK and does have an accent.
A. PAUL KILGUS
- Attended Bowling Green (Kentucky) High School whose mascot is “The Purples”. He was born 02-Feb-1962. Pitched 203.1 innings for the 1988 Texas Rangers.
- The 1989 Chicago Cubs had HOFers Greg Maddux as the ace of the staff and Ryne Sandberg at 2nd and Andre Dawson in the outfield. #2 starter Rick Sutcliffe had won a CYA and ROY. Outfielder Jerome Walton won the ROY that very season.
- That’s not the United Kingdom of Great Britain, that’s the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky. Kilgus not only attended, he graduated.
FCR - Barry Nelson, Guilderland, New York
Q. Whose well-timed 2-out, 2-strike, bottom-of-the-9th home run in the last game of the 2011 season tied the game on what most baseball experts agree was one of the most dramatic single days in baseball history?
Hint: He was already famous in Tampa for 2 other dramatic late-season home runs in previous seasons.
Hint: He had attended and played for 2 universities and a community college before being drafted.
Hint: In an attempt to return to the majors this past season, he tried his hand at pitching.
Hint: He has won a Most Valuable Player award in 2 different Triple-A leagues.
A. DAN JOHNSON
- HR off NYY’s Corey Wade on 28-Sep-2011 propelled the game to extra innings won in the 12th on a HR by Evan Longoria. YouTube chronicles the event: Johnson HR
- FIRST: HR on 09-Sep-2008 off BOS closer Jonathan Papelbon helped keep TBR in the division race which they eventually won.
- Butler University (Indianapolis, IN), Iowa Western Community College (Council Bluffs, IA), University of Nebraska (Lincoln, NE)
- Pitching in 2016, his 5.92 ERA over 76 innings in the low minors is not likely enough to get him to the mound in the majors.
FCR - Doug Greenwald, San Francisco
Incorrect answers: Evan Longoria, Matt Joyce, David Freese
Q. What former catcher, who played for the Mets and Yankees, was the captain for the record-setting Dominican Team in the 2007 Caribbean Series?
Hint: He was the manager of the Dominican Series Mets in 2011 and DSL Mets in 2012-2014.
Hint: He was a coach for the DSL Mets 2 in 2015-2016.
Hint: In his 12-year major league career, he played for 7 different teams.
Hint: He was the classic AAAA player: Granted free agency or released a total of 11 times in addition to being traded twice.
Hint: You can, however, see the logic of the teams who signed him as he was 3 times in league Top 5 in Total Zone Runs, not an insignificant achievement.
- Signed by NYM as an amateur free agent in 1987 and played for them in the majors 1995-98. With his title with the 2007 Caribbean Series, team manager Félix Fermín became the first manager in series history to win 3 championships.
- TZR = The number of runs above average a player is worth based on the number of plays made at a given position. He ranked 2nd in 1998 and 3rd in 1999 in the NL and 4th in 2000 in the AL.
FCR - Steve Berman, Bergenfield, New Jersey
Incorrect answers: Rick Cerrone
Q. Who was the Pitcher of the Year in the Mexican League in 2007 with a win/loss record of13-3 and an ERA of 2.62?
Hint: He was even better there in 2008, with a 17-3 record and a 2.54 ERA in 20 games (a decision in every game he started), he again made their All-Star Game.
Hint: With the exceptions of Tim Salmon and Pat Burrell, he only surrendered home runs in the majors to player who had been All-Stars. (Baseball sages are still trying to figure out why Salmon and Burrell were never All-Stars.)
Hint: Although this list could expand in future seasons, for now he is the last player to qualify for this week’s theme.
- Gave up MLB HR’s to Salmon, Burrell, Nomar Garciaparra, Tim Raines, Bernie Williams (same game as Raines), Alex Rodriguez, Garret Anderson and Darrin Erstad.
FCR - Timothy Kearns, Washington, DC
Incorrect answers: Pablo Ortega
WEEKLY THEME – Major League Baseball’s Ornithological Society. Those who have played for the Cardinals, the Orioles and the Blue Jays.
Castillo 2007 1999 2000-01
Hentgen 2001-03 2000 1991-99, 2004
Izturis 2009-11 2008 2001
Johnson 2013 2015 2014
Kilgus 1991 1993 1990
Morgan 1988 1995-96 1983
Patterson 2006-07, ’10 2011 2011
Rodriguez 1996-98 2002 1998-99
Timlin 1999-2000 2000-02 1991-97
Underwood 1984 1977 1978-79
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – David Washburn, Marietta, Georgia (after the Morgan question)
Questions archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia home page: https://sites.google.com/site/tnfotobbpics/home/horsehide-trivia