Sunday, January 31, 2016
Q. Who holds the record for the most hits a rookie season?
Hint: He also happens to hold the all-time single season hits record.
Hint: Only Tony Womack had more steals in his rookie season.
Hint: Yes, he was Rookie of the Year and MVP the same year.
A. ICHIRO SUZUKI (鈴木 一朗)
- 242 Hits
- Womack 60 SB in 1997, Ichiro 56 SB in 2001
FCR - Phil Hertz, North Bethesda, MD
Incorrect answers: George Sisler, Fred Lynn, Jackie Robinson, Lloyd Waner, Joe Charboneau, Tony Oliva
Q. Who was the last switch-hitter to win a league MVP Award?
Hint: He is the only shortstop to hit 20 home runs in a season while playing for the Phillies.
Hint: He did it 4 times.
Hint: He is the only player in Major League history to hit the first inside-the-park home runs in
two different ballparks the same year.
- 2007 MVP
- 2006 25 HR, 2007 30 HR, 2009 21 HR and 2012 23 HR
FCR - Kellen Nielson, Blanding, UT
Incorrect answers: Larry Bowa, Chipper Jones, Granny Hamner, Chase Utley
Q. Who was the last 20th century rookie to hit 20 homers and plate 100 RBI’s?
Hint: He was the last Met to hit a home run at Shea.
Hint: He shares the single season home run record for the Mets, though he tied the record
with 13 fewer games, and 30 fewer at bats.
- 1999 22 HR and 108 RBI. Pujols hit 37 HR and 130 RBI 2001.
- 28-Sep-2008, b6 in a 4-2 loss to FLA
- 41 HR 2006 (140 G and 510 AB), tied Todd Hundley 1996 (153 G, 540 AB)
FCR - Bob Flynn, Chandler, AZ
Incorrect answers: David Wright, Darryl Strawberry, Mike Piazza, Todd Hundley, Rusty Staub, Carlos Delgado, Jason Bay
Q. What active player who was born in Hawaii has had the longest career?
Hint: His résumé includes 3 Gold Glove Awards, 2 All-Star Game appearances and a pair of World Series championship rings.
Hint: He got his rings with two different teams.
Hint: He is the only Boston player to lead the American League in being hit-by-pitch since Kevin Millar did it.
- B. Wailuku, HI
- 18 HBP in 2013, Kevin Millar led with 17 in 2004
FCR - Steve Schwartz, Chico, CA
Incorrect answers: David Ortiz
Q. Who was the only Tampa Bay Devil Ray to lead the American League in stolen bases?
Hint: No Tamp Bay Ray has done it either.
Hint: He is one of the game’s most expensive players, costing his current team $225,000 per hit over the past 3 seasons.
Hint: Still with great speed, he was once considered the fastest runner in baseball.
- Led AL in SB w/55, 59, 58, & 50 during 2003, 04, 06, 07 respectively.
- The team dropped the “Devil” from their name in 2008 and were promptly rewarded with a trip to the World Series.
- 2013-15 for LAD earned $61,607,000; hits totaled 274.
FCR - Ken Auerbach, Bronxville, NY
Incorrect answers: B.J. Upton, Randy Winn
Q. Who is the only New York Yankee to hit over 40 home runs in consecutive seasons since Jason Giambi did it?
Hint: Before that he led the league in triples in consecutive years.
Hint: He represented his home country in the World Baseball Classic in 2009.
- 41 in 2011 & 43 in 2012; Giambi 41 in each of 2003 & 03
- Led in 3b in 2007 & 08 for DET
- Was on Team USA in 2009 w/Victorino
FCR - Daniel Wilson, St. Paul, MN
Incorrect answers: Alex Rodriguez, Brett Gardner, Alfonso Soriano, Robinson Cano
Q. Who stole 60 bases in 2005, becoming the youngest player since Tim Raines to reach that total?
Hint: After playing in the majors for nine straight years for the team that signed him, he has played for 3 teams in the last 4 years and rumor has it that his current team is “shopping” him.
Hint: He, too, represented his home country in the 2009 World Baseball Classic.
Hint: He had a 26-game hitting streak halted by a knuckleballer who was a former teammate .
Hint: He’s had some serious personal issues this offseason. The Commissioner is investigating.
A. JOSE REYES
- 60 at age 22; Raines stole 71 in his age 21 season.
- 9 yrs.with NYM; Miami, Toronto and Colorado have been his home since 2012.
- Reyes was released after posting $1,000 bail and issued a warning citation to have no contact with his wife for three days after he was arrested Oct. 31 at a resort in Hawaii. He pleaded not guilty to a charge of abuse of a family or household member
FCR - Roy Glasser, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Incorrect answers: Rajai Davis, Hanley Ramirez, Dee Gordon, Juan Pierre
WEEKLY THEME – Players active in 2015 with at least 70 career triples.
Player Triples Years Active
Crawford 122 2002-2015
Reyes 117 2003-2015
Rollins 114 2000-2015
Ichiro 91 2001-2015
Granderson 84 2004-2015
Beltran 78 1998-2015
Victorino 70 2003-2015
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – Joe Merrill, Montpelier, VT
Incorrect theme guesses:
Mon - Players who joined MLB from other countries
- MVP's who had more stolen bases than home runs
Tue - Players with 700 at-bats in a season
- MVPs with less than 20 hrs
Wed - 1st round picks who are MVP winners
- Active hits leaders who were ROY's
- Players who stole at least 40 bases and were caught stealing less than five times in a season
- MVPs who stole at least 40 bases in their MVP season
Fri - Players from the 2008 World Series
Sun - Players on WBC winners
Questions archived here: http://horsehidetriviA.blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia home page: https://sites.google.com/site/tnfotobbpics/home/horsehide-trivia