Sunday, September 27, 2015
September 21-27, 2015 Pitchers who threw complete-game interleague no-hitters
Q. Who is the last American League pitcher to win the Cy Young Award unanimously?
Hint: He threw the first no-hitter in what is now called Comerica Park.
Hint: No high school pitcher in his state ever accumulated more career strikeouts.
Twint: He was the first 21st-century rookie pitcher to earn fifteen wins in his team's first 125 games.
Twint: Only Don Newcombe and he won the Rookie of the Year Award, a Cy Young Award and been named his league’s league MVP.
- 2011 CYA
- No-hitter in Detroit 12-Jul-2007
FCR - ~ D. Bruce Brown, Columbia, MD
Incorrect answers: Tim Lincecum
Q. What pitcher was last Cy Young Award honoree for the Royals before Zack Greinke?
Hint: It happened before and after he played for a New York team and was his during second tour of duty with the Royals.
Hint: He holds the pitching record of the longest stretch between 20-win seasons.
Twint: He was the first Yankee right-hander to strike out fifteen batters in a game.
Twint: Mariano Rivera still got a save in that one.
A. DAVID CONE
- CYA 1994
- NYM 1987-92; NYY 1995-2000
- 16 K’s 23-Jun-1997 vs. NYM
FCR - Jim Lovelace, Kent, OH
Incorrect answers: Bret Saberhagen, Dave Stieb, Dennis Leonard
IN MEMORIAM / WEDNESDAY
Q. 10 rings
Hint: 3 MVP’s
Hint: Only catcher with MVP’s in consecutive seasons
Hint: Played for the Yankees and Mets
Hint: Managed the Yankees and Mets
Hint: Most World Series at-bats
Hint: Most World Series plate appearances
Hint: Most World Series singles
Hint: Most World Series doubles
Hint: Behind only Ruth and Mantle in World Series home runs
Hint: Invaded Normandy with U.S. troops on DD-Day 1944
Hint: Elected to All-Star team eighteen times
Twint: "You can observe a lot by watching."
Twint: “I can’t think and hit at the same time.”
Twint: “Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical.”
FCR - Morris Buenamann, Florissant, MO
Q. Who tied Adam Wainwright for the National League lead in shutouts in 2014?
Hint: He was the starting pitcher included in the traded that brought Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Josh Johnson, John Buck and Emilio Bonifacio to Toronto.
Hint: Two seasons later he made the All-Star team and even received consideration for the Cy Young Award.
Hint: He has yet to play in an All-Star game.
Twint: He had four starts this year and lost them all.
- Included in the trade from the Blue Jays were Adeiny Hechavarria, Jeff Mathis, Yunel Escobar, Jake Marisnick, Anthony DeSclafani, and Justin Nicolino.
- ASG 15-Jul-2014
- 0-4, will return next year
FCR - Bill Deane, Cooperstown, NY
Incorrect answers: David Price, Chris Sale, Jose Fernandez, Roy Halladay, Matt Harvey
Q. Who is the only native of Germany to throw a no-hitter in the majors?
Hint: For two years, he was the youngest player in the National League.
Hint: The Dodgers drafted him out of high school as an outfielder.
Hint: On a team that won its first pennant, he tied for the most pitching victories.
Twint: He was on the same team the previous season, but they operated under a more sinister name.
Twint: This in not to imply that they were left-handed.
- B. 09-Sep-1983 Neu-Ulm, Germany
- Youngest in NL 2003, 04
- Known as the “Devil Rays” 1998-2007
- Sinister means left-handed in Latin
FCR - Mike Massaroli, Staten Island, NY
Incorrect answers: Ted Breitenstein, Johnny Podres
Q. What pitcher completed a strikeout by striking two batters?
Hint: His claim that neither incident was intentional has credibility with most people.
Hint: Not, however, with the opposing team, whose hurler immediately threw at the first batter he faced and was just as immediately ejected from the game.
Hint: He pitched for three different institutions of higher learning before going pro.
Hint: The Brewers drafted him in the 22nd round just before his 24th birthday.
Twint: Nearing the end of his first full year in the majors, he carried a perfect game into the 7th inning in a game against the Cincinnati Reds.
Twint: Wikipedia reports that his fastball reaches 146 km/h.
A. MIKE FIERS
- On 11-Sep-2014, he threw a fastball that struck star Miami Marlins’ OF Giancarlo Stanton in the face. Stanton suffered multiple facial fractures and broken teeth and was taken from the G for treatment. However, Stanton had, ruled umpire D.J. Reyburn, swung at the pitch for strike 2. Reed Johnson was sent in to pinch-hit to complete the at-bat. Johnson swung and missed for strike 3, but this pitch hit him as well, prompting a bench-clearing brawl. Fiers was very shaken and left the game after those incidents. Having completed 5 innings, he got the win. Here is his post-game apology:
"It was very tough. I've never in my life experienced something like that. It was very hard for me to take in everything at the moment and come back and throw another pitch. I just want to send my thoughts and prayers and everything to Giancarlo Stanton. You never think of throwing at somebody like that. Never in my life has that happened. I just feel very, very sad that I hit him. I'm sorry to their teammates, their fans, his family. It is just tough."
He was issued a fine by MLB. Marlins’ Anthony DeSclafani was suspended for 3 G for throwing at Carlos Gomez, the game’s next batter.
- Enrolled at Broward College, transferred to University of the Cumberlands then to Nova Southeastern University.
- Near perfecto: 07-Aug-2012, vs. CIN. He finished going 8 innings allowing 1 run on 3 hits, earning the W and lowering his season ERA to 1.80.
- 146 km/h = 91 MPH
FCR - Alex Remington, Washington, DC
Incorrect answers: Teddy Higuera
Q. Who was the first pitcher Baltimore Orioles pitcher to shut out the Yankees?
Hint: It was one of his and his team’s few bright spots that year as he led the league in losses and the O’s lost 100 games.
Hint: Satchel Paige, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Joe Morgan, Robin Roberts and Ernie Banks were all major league teammates of his.
Hint: He once pitched for Miami, but not in Florida and not in Ohio.
Twint: Bill Veeck had once been his General Manager.
A. DON LARSEN
- Mickey Mantle on the Yankees from 1955 to 1959, with Willie Mays on the San Francisco Giants in 1962 and 1963, with Joe Morgan on the 1964 Houston Colt .45s, with Robin Roberts on the 1965 Orioles, and with Ernie Banks on the 1967 Chicago Cubs.
FCR - Dr. Richard Tharp, Gaithersburg, MD
Incorrect answers: Bob Turley, Hoyt Wilhelm
WEEKLY THEME – Pitchers who threw interleague no-hitters
Pitcher Date For Vs. Venue
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – John Michael Pierobon, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Incorrect theme guesses:
Friday - The holder of the most recent no hitter for a major league club
Questions archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia home page: https://sites.google.com/site/tnfotobbpics/home/horsehide-trivia