Sunday, January 15, 2017
2017-01-09 National League batting champs who were active in the majors in 2016
Q. Who broke Johnny Frederick's record for extra-base hits by a National League rookie?
Hint: He also set the rookie record for most times hitting into a double play.
Hint: In 2007, Alex Rodriguez tied his record for the most home runs in the month of April.
- 20 GIDP
- 14 HR in April 2006
FCR - Paul Goodson, Cheyenne
Incorrect answers: Rudy York, Walt Dropo, Pinky Higgins, Willie Stargell, Barry Bonds, Chris Bryant, Jackie Robinson, Nolan Arenado, Ryan Howard, Mark McGwire, Dick Allen, Elston Howard, Wally Berger
Q. Who is the only catcher to win the MVP the next full season after he was voted Rookie of the Year?
Hint: His middle name is the same as that of a catcher who was a World Series MVP.
Hint: He once played all nine positions in a game in college, struck out the two batters he faced and hit a grand slam.
Hint: His younger sister, Samantha, played softball for Valdosta State and once hit a home run cycle in a doubleheader.
A. BUSTER POSEY
- ROY 2010; MVP 2012 (Played only 45 games in 2011 because of a season-ending injury caused by a collision at home plate.)
- She hit a one-run homer, two-run homer, three-run homer and a grand slam. She went 5-for-7 with 11 RBI’s in the twin bill.
FCR - Michael Campos, Redmond, Washington
Incorrect answers: Johnny Bench, Pat Borders, Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella, Thurman Munson, Don Newcombe
Q. Who won the Home Run Derby the year that Josh Hamilton hit a record 28 homers in one round?
Hint: He won but finished with 13 overall home runs fewer than Hamilton (not the musical).
Hint: During one terrible off-season, he was stricken with appendicitis, chicken pox and a lung infection that led to pneumonia.
Hint: No problem. He was voted MVP the following year.
- Ill off-season 2004-05
FCR - Gary Hoffman, Moon Township, Pennsylvania
Incorrect answers: Prince Fielder, Miguel Cabrera, Miguel Tejada, Ryan Braun
Q. Whom did the Red Sox trade away only to see him become the Rookie of the Year the very next season with his new team?
Hint: The first ten players listed in his Similarity Scores were all All-Star players, as was he.
Hint: Two of the players he was traded for have been World Series MVP’s.
Hint: He has played in two World Baseball Classics, once winning the championship.
- ROY 2005; Traded by BOS to FLA for Josh Beckett (2003 WS MVP w/FLA) and Mike Lowell (2007 WS MVP w/BOS) (others involved in the trade)
- Scroll down to see Similarity Scores; AS in 2008-10
- Won the WBC gold in 2013 with the Dominican Republic.
FCR - Dan Silverberg, Aventura, Florida
Incorrect answers: Jeff Bagwell, Jose Altuve, Eric Hinske
Q. What speedster’s father surrendered Alex Rodriguez’ first major league home run?
Hint: His younger brother is doing well in the Twins minor league organization.
Hint: One season he led the NL in triples and stolen bases.
Hint: The next year, on the other coast, he led the NL in hits and stolen bases.
Hint: Although he was suspended and lost 80 games in 2016, it was in the 156th game he did play, where he was much more concerned about another sort of loss.
A. DEE GORDON
- 12 3b + 64 SB in 2014 with LAD.
- 205 H + 54 SB for MIA in 2015.
- On Monday, 26-Sep, wanting to honor fallen teammate Jose Fernandez, Gordon donned Fernandez’ batting helmet for the first pitch of his first at-bat of the game. He took a ball from starter Bartolo Colon, switched helmets, switched sides of the plate and deposited the next pitch into the right field seats. Video.
- The suspension had been for use of substances on the wrong list.
FCR - Benjamin Chase, Huron, South Dakota
Incorrect answers: Tom Gordon, Alex Gordon, Billy Hamilton
Q. What former Oakland A’s player recently signed with the Yankees?
Hint: For one of his previous teams, he still owns the second-highest career batting average, trailing only a former MVP.
Hint: For another of the teams he played on, a much older franchise, he owns the all-time single-season record for number of times grounding into double plays.
Hint: His father is a well-respected veteran college baseball coach.
Hint: His older brother is the current head baseball coach at a D-1 school.
- 31 GIDP w/STL in 2013
FCR - Howard Johnson Norman, OK
Incorrect answers: Billy Butler
Q. Which South American slugger has an average of 50+ extra-base hits for every season of his 9-year major league career in spite of never breaking double digits in triples?
Hint: He is a three time All-Star, has twice been a Silver Slugger, owns three Gold Gloves and has finished as high as 3rd in MVP voting.
Hint: His wife is a famous singer/actress in her native land.
Hint: His nickname is laden with meaning.
- He did have 9 triples in 2010. Born and raised in Venezuela.
- Finished behind Joey Votto and Albert Pujols in the 2010 NL MVP voting. (Pretty decent company.)
- Wife Indonesia Riera, also from Venezuela
- Nickname “Cargo”.
FCR - Rafael Amanau, Philadelphia
Incorrect answers: Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado, Howard Johnson, Albert Pujols, Carlos Gonzalez
Q. Who was the first National League player to hit more than fifteen triples in consecutive seasons since the Great Depression?
Hint: He has worn uniform #7 for four different teams.
Hint: David Eckstein took his place in one of his best seasons.
A. JOSE REYES
- Reyes 2005-06; Paul Waner 1933-34
- #7 for NYM, FLA, TOR & COL
FCR - Steve Berman, Bergenfield, New Jersey
Incorrect answers: Garry Templeton, Ozzie Smith, Edgar Renteria, Lance Johnson
Q. Who was the Tigers’ second baseman he last time they won the World Series?
Hint: He was the two-time Player of the Year when he played for Rice.
Hint: He was a second-round draft second baseman… the second time.
Hint: His league-leading UZR one season made him an obvious choice for the Gold Glove at his position.
A. DJ LeMAHIEU
- He played shortstop/pitcher for the Brother Rice High School Warriors in Bloomfield Township, Oakland County, Michigan.
- Drafted in the 2nd round in 2009 by the Cubs. The Tigers had picked him in the 41st round in 2007.
- Ultimate Zone Rating of 11.0 & GG in 2014.
FCR - David Silverman, Wesley Chapel, Florida
Incorrect answers: Lou Whitaker, Dick McAuliffe
WEEKLY THEME – National League batting champs who were active in the majors in 2016.
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – Steven Coleman, Belleville, Illinois
Incorrect theme guesses:
Thurs - Batting Champions with >50 SB in a season
- Batting champ since 2000 won by ROY winner
Sat - Players who have won a single NL batting title since 2000
Questions archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia home page: https://sites.google.com/site/tnfotobbpics/home/horsehide-trivia