Sunday, March 12, 2017
2017-03-06 NLers w/HR in their last at-bat, but who had 100 career HR already
Q. Who appeared on the television show The Real Housewives of Orange County in 2015 with his 3rd wife Meghan O'Toole King?
Hint: No highlight film of tremendous outfield catches is complete without at least two of his in it.
Hint: His latest work in baseball is for the St. Louis Cardinals with a microphone in his hand.
Hint: ESPN's (and SABR’s) Rob Neyer lists him as high in the top 100 players of the first decade of the 21st century due to his productivity at the plate and gold-glove skills in center field.
A. JIM EDMONDS
- Watch a raunchy episode here.
- For a fuller appreciation of Edmond’s fielding prowess, click here. (The catch at 1:10 took place in Cincinnati on 16-Jul-2004 directly in front of me and my fellow SABR convention-goers.)
- As a broadcaster.
FCR - Rick Tharp, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Incorrect answers: Dave Kingman
Q. Who was the Cardinals' player representative during the 1994-95 players' strike and then the Rockies' player representative during the 2002 union negotiations?
Hint: His birthday is 09-Sep-1965 when, 20 miles away on the same day, Sandy Koufax pitched a perfect game.
Hint: He can trace his ancestry to Presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams.
Hint: His top offensive performances were against the best pitchers of the day.
A. TODD ZEILE
- Perfect game.
- Zeile hit 4 home runs off Hall of Famer Tom Glavine and 3 each off All-Stars: John Smiley and Hideo Nomo.
FCR - Josh Murphy, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Incorrect answers: Matt Holliday, Albert Pujols, Matt Adams, Gabe Kapler
Q. Who, with Mark McGwire, became the first pair of National League teammates to total 100 home runs in a single season?
Hint: He hit more home runs at Busch Stadium than any other player.
Hint: He was the first running back to rush for 1,000 yards in a season for the Modesto Junior College football team.
Hint: Had 5 20/20 seasons, but 11 seasons of 100+ strikeouts.
Hint: Led the National League in triples in his rookie season.
A. RAY LANKFORD
- 15 3b in 1991
FCR - Morris Buenemann, Florissant, Missouri
Incorrect answers: Jose Canseco, Brian Jordan, Ron Gant
Q. Who had possibly one of his worst days ever when he committed 3 errors and hit into a double play—and it was in an All-Star Game?
Hint: His hit and RBI did help his league dominate the scoring.
Hint: One of the reasons he was an All-Star that year was because he led the league in bases-on-balls.
Hint: After Joe Gordon in 1938, he was the next rookie second baseman to hit 20 home runs in his debut season.
Hint: He spent even fewer games with the San Francisco Giants at the end of his career than Randy Johnson did.
A. DAN UGGLA
- 2012 ASG, NL 8 AL 0
- 94 BB in 2012
- 4 g w/SFG in 2014, his penultimate (but played with WSN in his final season.) Johnson finished with 22 g with SFG at the end in 2009.
FCR - Steven Coleman, Belleville, Illinois
Incorrect answers: Joe Morgan, Jeff Kent, Ron Hunt
Q. What All-Star backstop was a battery mate of 42 different All-Star pitchers during his 15-year major league career?
Hint: He hit his first professional career cycle in his team's opening game of the 2006 Caribbean Series.
Hint: MVP and Al-Star Miguel Tejada, a teammate of his on 2 different teams, is godfather to his children, as is he to Tejada’s.
Hint: 2017 marks the first ever time that he will not have represented his country in the World Baseball Classic.
- Caught the following (not necessarily in the same years they were All-Stars)…
- w/OAK: Tim Hudson, Kenny Rogers, Mark Mulder, Barry Zito, Kevin Apier, Jason Isringhausen, Doug Jones, Ted Lilly, Keith Foulke, Justin Duchscherer; 
- w/AL All-Stars: Brendan Donnelly (Sole career AS appearance for both.)
- w/BAL: Russ Ortiz, Jim Johnson, Steve Trachsel, Danys Baez, Scott Williamson, George Sherrill, Alfredo Simon; 
- w/CIN: Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Cueto, Francisco Cordero, Arthur Rhodes, Edinson Volquez, Aroldis Chapman, Dontrelle Willis; 
- w/LAD: Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Chris Capuano, Kenley Jansen, Brandon League, Josh Beckett, Edinson Volquez (again!), Ted Lilly (again), Carlos Marmol, Brian Wilson, Chad Billingsley. [9 (net)]
- Cycle game: 02-Feb-2006, playing for Venezuela.
- Played with Tejada in Oakland and Baltimore.
FCR - Scott Matteson, Shawnee, Kansas
Incorrect answers: Jorge Posada, Ivan Rodriguez, Javy Lopez, Bengie Molina
Q. Who was the starting left fielder for the Venezuelan team in the inaugural World Baseball Classic?
Hint: Baseball America had named him the #1 prospect in the Yankees organization. But they traded him to a team outside the U.S., not his first stop there.
Hint: In his 12-year career, he played for 5 teams and was released or traded 6 times.
Hint: He is not related to the world’s greatest reliever.
A. JUAN RIVERA
- Mariano Rivera not related. Rivera is the 12th-most common Hispanic name.
FCR - Rich Lerner, Silver Spring, Maryland
Incorrect answers: Ruben Rivera, Bobby Abreu
Q. Whose fly ball resulted in Carlos Beltran and Mike Cameron of the Mets crashing into each other in the outfield, sending both to the hospital with concussions?
Hint: The box score calls it a triple.
Hint: His pitching record, though brief, is without blemish.
Hint: It’s unlikely that he’ll ever have to pay for a drink anywhere in northeastern Illinois.
A. DAVID ROSS
- Played a key role in the Cubs 2016 WS championship
FCR - Michael McCroskey, Sugar Land, Texas
WEEKLY THEME – National Leaguers who hit a home run in their last at-bat, but who had accumulated 100 career home runs prior to that.
Batter HR # When Playing for
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – Rick Fink firstname.lastname@example.org (After Zeile)
Incorrect theme guesses:
Thurs - Rookie of the Year runners up
Questions archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia home page: https://sites.google.com/site/tnfotobbpics/home/horsehide-trivia