Monday, May 22, 2017
2017-05-15 Black Pre-Expansion Most Valuable Players
Q. Which player received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush in 2005?
Hint: He was the last Montreal Expos manager.
Hint: He was, not surprisingly, the first Washington Nationals manager.
Hint: He had previously won the Triple Crown, on his way to hitting 586 career home runs.
- Expos mgr 2002-04; Nationals mgr 2005-06
- 1966 AL TC
FCR - Morris Buenemann, Florissant, MO
Incorrect answers: Felipe Alou
Q. Which player received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush in 2002?
Hint: When he was elected to the Hall of Fame, only Ty Cobb had received a higher percentage of votes.
Hint: He hit a combined 420 home runs for the Milwaukee Braves and Milwaukee Brewers.
Hint: …with 335 Atlanta Braves home runs thrown in for good measure.
A. HANK AARON
- 97.8% HOF votes to Cobb’s 98.2%
FCR - Barry Zamoff, Washington, DC
Incorrect answers: Jackie Robinson
Q. Which player received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama in 2013?
Hint: His National League record for home runs by a rookie shortstop stood for 53 years, until it was broken by Troy Tulowitzki.
Hint: He played 23 games in left field during his transition from shortstop to first base, making way for Andre Rodgers.
A. ERNIE BANKS
- 19 HR in 1954, broken by Tulo’s 24 in 2007
- 23 LF games in 1961
FCR - Scott Matteson (via Facebook)
Q. Which player posthumously received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Ronald Reagan in 1984?
Hint: He was an All-Star for Kansas City one year and starred for Montreal the next year.
Hint: He was inducted into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame in 1991.
- 1945 Negro League East-West All-Star for KC Monarchs, 1946 Montreal Royals.
FCR - Rich Lerner, Silver Spring, MD
Incorrect answers: Dick Howser, Larry Walker
Q. Which player received the City of New York Bronze Medallion, the highest civilian honor bestowed by the city, in 1969?
Hint: He had the fewest plate appearances of any position player elected to the Hall of Fame for his major league playing career.
Hint: He has the best caught stealing percentage in major league history.
Hint: His team paid him a higher salary the year after his retirement than he ever earned during his career.
- 4,815 career PA
- 57.4% CS
- Dodgers paid him $50,000 in 1958, following his career-ending car accident
FCR - Jim Turner, Tallahassee, FL
Incorrect answers: Yogi Berra, Gil Hodges, Monte Irvin, Mickey Mantle, Phil Rizzuto, Tom Seaver, Casey Stengel, Dave Winfield
Q. Which player was personally thanked by Martin Luther King Jr. and Barack Obama for the sacrifices he made as a trailblazing major leaguer?
Hint: He trained new Army recruits during the Korean war.
Hint: He played on the same team as Larry Doby during his first and last professional seasons.
Hint: Former teammate Maury Wills credited him with saving Wills’ life.
A. DON NEWCOMBE
- Visited by MLK shortly before his assassination, thanked by Obama in 2010
- Recognized by Wills for helping him overcome substance abuse in the 1980's
- Played on same team as Doby in 1944 (NNL Newark Eagles) & 1962 (NPB Chunichi Dragons)
FCR - Barry Zamoff, Washington, DC
Incorrect answers: Hank Aaron, Satchel Paige, Pee Wee Reese, Jackie Robinson
Q. Who was named commissioner of the White House T-ball League by President George W. Bush in 2006?
Hint: He was a frequent golf partner with President Bill Clinton.
Hint: He received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama in 2015.
A. WILLIE MAYS
FCR - Jim Campbell, Townsend, TN
Incorrect answers: Hank Aaron, Yogi Berra, George H.W. Bush, Bob Costas, Michael Jordan, Stan Musial, Cal Ripken, Jr.
WEEKLY THEME – Black Pre-Expansion Most Valuable Players
Notes: All are in the National League. F. Robinson won the year before the NL expanded. Two of these players also won after expansion, but in different cities: Mays in 1965 with SFG and F. Robinson in the A.L. with BAL in 1966, this time with a unanimous vote.
FCR to Identify Theme – Stuart Shapiro, Highland Park, NJ
Incorrect theme guesses:
Tues - Triple Crown winners who were also managers
- Players who were awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Top home run hitters with Negro League experience
- Participants in the Home Run Derby
- Guys who hit the most home runs in the 1960's
Wed - All my childhood baseball heroes
- MLB players who have received the Presidential Medal of Freedom and are in the Hall of Fame
- African-American players with 500+ home runs
- First black players to hit 500 home runs
- Players on 1963 Topps card #3
- Players debuting in the 1950's who hit 500 home runs
- Players debuting in the 1950's who were elected to the Hall of Fame
Sat - Hall of Famers who played in both the Negro Leagues and majors
- Negro League vets who made the Hall of Fame based on their MLB career
Sun - Negro League players enshrined in Cooperstown who played in MLB
- Negro League players who won awards in the majors
- Negro League players who won the Silver Slugger Award
- Black players entering the majors in the 1950's
- Black players entering the majors before 1955
- Black players entering the majors before 1956 who are in the Hall of Fame
- Former Negro League players who received high civilian awards
- Hall of Famers who played for the Kansas City Monarchs
- Black players prior to 1956 who won the MVP Award
- Hall of Famers honored by Presidents
- Negro Leaguers who qualified for the Hall of Fame as major leaguers
- Negro League vets who won MVP or Cy Young Awards
Questions archived here: http://horsehidetrivia.blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia home page: https://sites.google.com/site/tnfotobbpics/home/horsehide-trivia