Sunday, April 16, 2017
2017-04-10 Current players with a season of 110 Bases-on-balls
Q. Who, out of deference, even reverence, for Stan Musial will not allow fans or media to refer to him as “The Man” or even “El Hombre”?
Hint: Ten players have won 3 or more league MVP’s. Among them, only he had won the Rookie of the Year Award.
Hint: He won it in spite of hitting into more than 20 double plays that year.
Hint: He has amassed in excess of 300 more since then.
- 21 GDP in 2001 tying John Olerud for 6th in the majors
- Is tied for 2nd all-time with Ivan Rodriguez and needing only 14 more to pass Cal Ripken for the all-time lead.
FCR - Charlie Riordan, Chevy chase, Maryland
Incorrect answers: Luis Pujols, Ted Williams, Miguel Cabrera
Q. What New Jersey Native was named Rookie of the Year and in his 5 complete major league seasons has never finished lower than 2nd (not a typo) in league MVP voting, but, alas, has played in only 3 postseason games—all losses?
Hint: He has already tied Willie Mays, Cal Ripken, Gary Carter and Steve Garvey for All-Star Game honors.
Hint: Only Ty Cobb stole 40+ bases in a season at a younger age.
Hint: As a pitcher in his junior year of high school, he threw a 7-inning no-hitter in a regular season game. Eighteen of the 21 outs came via strikeout.
A. MIKE TROUT
- Those 4 plus Trout have twice won the All-Star Game MVP. Only he has done it in consecutive years.
- Ty Cobb in 1907 stole 53 bases at the age of 20. Trout swiped 49 bases in 2012 at 21.
- No-hitter was against Egg Harbor Township in a Cape Atlantic League. Trout attended and played for Millville Senior High School.
FCR - Tony Hughes, Woodbridge, Virginia
Q. Perhaps even more than Mike Trout, this is another former MVP stuck on a team picked to finish last. Who is he?
Hint: Only Larry Walker has won Tip O'Neill Award more times.
Hint: He is the only native of his country to win the Hank Aaron award.
Hint: Also in his trophy room are the Lou Marsh Trophy and the Ernie Lombardi Award, the latter won by unanimous vote.
Hint: While still in high school, switched from aluminum bats to maple wood, confident one day he would be a professional baseball player.
A. JOEY VOTTO
- Languishes with CIN. Do not be fooled by their 5-2 record or his .193 batting average. Both will change dramatically.
- Tip O’Neill Award is given to the outstanding Canadian baseball player each year. Walker won it 9 times. Votto has already won it 6 times.
- Hank Aaron Award has been awarded since 1999. The Ernie Lombardi Trophy is awarded by the Cincinnati Reds organization and the Lou Marsh Memorial Trophy is a trophy awarded annually to Canada's top athlete, professional or amateur. (Wayne Gretzky won it 4 times.)
FCR - Jeff Kallman
Incorrect answers: Joe Mauer, Ivan Rodriguez, Andre Dawson, Ryan Braun, Buster Posey, Paul Goldschmidt, Larry Walker
Q. Who was the first teenager to steal home in the playoff era (1969-)?
Hint: Had Bozo himself asked this, it still wouldn’t be a clown question.
Hint: ESPN The Magazine refers to his swing as, “…a broken dam, a convulsion.” The magazine then describes his training routine, saying that, “…[he] goes about his work with forensic vigor.”
A. BRYCE HARPER
- Steal of home 06-May-2012 . He was on base because of being intentionally HBP by wise (?), old (?) baseball guru (?) Cole Hamels. [19 yrs. 191 days]
- Dismissing a blatantly obvious question from a reporter after a game in Toronto, Harper quipped, “That’s a clown question, Bro!” and thus it entered the popular baseball lexicon.
- ESPN The Magazine reference 10-Mar-2016
FCR - Tim Phares, Laurel, Maryland
Q. Who is the only player in history to have a 50+ home run season while playing for his 5th major league team?
Hint: He topped that performance with 1.000+ OPS the following season.
Hint: He is the reason that so many Canadian tweens sport five-o’clock shadows.
- 54 HR in 2010; 1.056 OPS in 2011
FCR - Walt Cherniak, Woodbine, Maryland
Incorrect answers: Larry Walker, Greg Vaughn, Jim Thome, Luis Gonzalez, Edwin Encarnacion, Brady Anderson
Q. What star slugger owns a 900+ OPS, has a career OPS+ north of 150 and has twice been second in MVP voting, but has only ever played in one postseason series?
Hint: His team lost.
Hint: In his full seasons in the majors, he has never had an OPS under .850 or an OPS+ under 125.
Hint: He would have fit last week’s theme nicely.
- 2011 LDS
FCR - Gary Hoffman, Moon Township, Pennsylvania
Incorrect answers: Mike Trout, Miguel Cabrera
Q. What All-Star toiled for a team based just across an international border from his relatives?
Hint: He was born in the U.S., but regularly visited his aunts, uncles and cousins across the border until it was no longer safe to do so.
Hint: No one was drafted ahead of him the year the Marlins took him.
Hint: He has played in the World Baseball Classic every year it has been held.
Hint: He homered in his first at-bat for his current team.
- Regular travel to Tijuana, Mexico was no longer deemed safe by U.S. authorities. Gonzalez played for SDP at the time.
- Drafter #1 overall in the 2000 June Draft
FCR - Kellen Nielson, Blanding, Utah
Incorrect answers: Miguel Cabrera, Giancarlo Stanton, Alex Gonzalez
Q. What Cleveland Indians hopeful received the Lou Boudreau Award in 2009?
Hint: In his MLB debut, he batted 3rd in the batting order that day, making him the first rookie to do so in over 30 years.
Hint: His rookie season as ended by a collision with the Boston’s Ryan Kalish at home plate in Fenway Park.
Hint: He recorded the final out of the 2016 American League Championship Series by catching Troy Tulowitzki’s pop-up in foul territory, sending the Tribe to the World Series.
- Debut game = 11-Jun-2010
- Collision game = 02-Aug-2010 (Kalish was out.)
- Final out in 2016 ALCS = 19-Oct-2016
FCR - John Michael Pierobon, Ft. Lauderdale
Incorrect answers: Francisco Lindor, Jason Kipnis
Q. Who was the first Cincinnati Reds outfielder to lead the National League in being hit-by-pitch since Frank Robinson did it?
Hint: Also on his baseball résumé was being selected as the Most Valuable Player and Best Pitcher of the World Junior Baseball Championship.
Hint: Alex Gordon and Grady Sizemore are the closest in Similarity Scores.
Hint: The cycle he hit was the first of its kind.
- 26 HBP in 2013. F. Robinson’s 6th time to lead the NL was w/18 in 1965. Reds 1st-baseman Dan Driessen tied for the lead in 1980.
- Honors came in the 2000 World Junior Baseball Championship
- Cycle = 21-Jul-2015, the first cycle ever achieved by an Asian player
FCR - Timothy Kearns, Washington, DC
Incorrect answers: Jay Bruce, Eric Davis, Brandon Phillips, Paul O’Neill
SUNDAY (Please ignore the “NT” e-mail. It was merely some technical housekeeping.)
Q. What journeyman Oakland A’s first baseman is still playing professional baseball, but played his last game in the majors in May 2014?
Hint: Now he’s a Steeler.
Hint: In his 4th season in the majors, he was one of only two players in MLB to have more walks than strikeouts that year. The other player was the reigning MVP.
Hint: And with that stat, he is the final qualifier for this week’s theme.
A. DARIC BARTON
- Played for the A’s from 2007 to 2014. In only 2 of those could he be considered full-time: 2008 & 2010.
- In 2010 he tallied 110 BB’s to 102 K’s. Albert Pujols, the (unanimous) 2009 NL MVP had a more dramatic delta: 103 to 76. It was Barton’s only time to do it. Pujols has done it in 10 of his 16 full major league seasons.
- Our theme this week concerns a statistical accomplishment achieved this century.
FCR - Alex Remington, Washington, DC
Incorrect answers: Matt Stairs, Jack Cust
WEEKLY THEME – Active players with a season of 110 bases on balls.
Barton 110* 2010
Bautista 132** 2011
Choo 112 2013
Goldschmidt 118 2015
" 110* 2016
Gonzalez 119** 2009
Harper 124 2015
Pujols 115 2009
Santana 113** 2014
Trout 110* 2013
" 116** 2016
Votto 110* 2011
" 135** 2013
" 143** 2015
*Led league **Led majors
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – Mike McCroskey, Sugar Land, Texas
Incorrect theme guesses:
Tue - Active players who've won an MVP
Sat - WAR leader for the decade by position
Questions archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia home page: https://sites.google.com/site/tnfotobbpics/home/horsehide-trivia