Sunday, May 15, 2016
May 9-15, 2016 Cubs who homered in a World Series
Q. Who is the only Cubs catcher voted by the BBWAA into the Hall of Fame?
Hint: He is also the only Cubs catcher to win the NL MVP award.
Hint: He has the highest career batting average of any Cubs catcher with 1,000 games played.
- Inducted into the Hall of Fame by BBWAA as Player in 1955 (195/251 ballots). Roger Bresnahan was voted in by the Old Timers Committee 1945. Minimums at catcher apply
- 1935 NL MVP
- .297 career BA
FCR - John Burbridge, Mebane, NC
Q. Other than Chief Wilson, who is the only modern era Pirate with more than 25 triples in a season?
Hint: He is the only Cub to lead his league in stolen bases three consecutive years.
Hint: He is the only United States Military Academy player to be elected to the Hall of Fame even though he only played football for the Army Mules.
Hint: After the academy he went to work at a Buick factory in Flint, MI. When a recession hit he decided to try his hand at baseball.
A. KIKI CUYLER
- 1928-30 led with 37, 43 and 37 SB
FCR - Blake Sherry Dublin, OH
Q. Who managed the last Federal League Championship team?
Hint: He got the last hit in a World Series where the Cubs took the prize.
Hint: A biologist once proclaimed this “6” was one of a pair of “Siamese Twins”.
A. JOE TINKER
- 1915 Manager of the Chicago Whales - the final year of the Federal League.
- Game 5 1908 WS, top of the 9th single that was wiped out with a double play.
- A baseball technical writer, and once assistant biologist, F. C. Lane said that he and Johnny Evers were the "Siamese twins of baseball" because "they play the bag as if they were one man, not two." The “6” refers to the baseball position - short stop - played by Tinker.
FCR - Dave Serota Kalamazoo, MI
Q. Who is the only modern era player to achieve the batting triple crown for a team that finished lower than 5th place?
Hint: Along with Mike Schmidt, they were the only position players for the Phillies to win the MVP award in the 20th century.
Hint: He is the only NL player to not win any version of the MVP in a year they took the batting triple crown (during a year the award existed).
A. CHUCK KLEIN
- 1933 triple crown, PHI finished 7th.
- 5 Phillies MVPs with pitcher Jim Konstanty winning in 1950. Ryan Howard (2006) and Jimmy Rollins (2007) were the other two.
- Hornsby won the League award in 1925, and Medwick MVP 1933. Klein finished second his triple crown year. Hornsby took the triple crown 1922, Hugh Duffy 1894, and Paul Hines 1878- years when there was no award.
FCR - Ken Auerbach Bronxville, NY
Q. Which Cubs player had the most All-Star Game appearances (as a Cub) until Ernie Banks broke his record?
Hint: He and Banks were also the only Cubs rookies to lead the league in games played.
Hint: He is the last Red Sox manager to have guided his team to a 100 loss season.
Hint: His granddaughter was once First Lady of Indiana.
A. BILLY HERMAN
- Banks appeared in 12 ASG, Herman 7. After Banks: Sandberg 9, Santo 8.
- 154 GP 1932. Banks also led with 154 GP 1954
- 1965, finished 9th of 10 at 62-100
- Cheri Daniels was, was not, and now again is the wife of former Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels.
FCR - Tom White, Houston, TX
Q. Who has the highest seasons batting average among all Cubs left handed hitters? (qualified for batting title).
Hint: He is the last Cub to win a batting title prior to the expansion era.
Hint: Not know as a power hitter, he had a season where with a slugging percentage of .500 while hitting fewer than 10 home runs - the only Cub to ever do so (qualified for the batting title).
Hint: During the span of his 4 All-Star seasons, he won an MVP - though he wasn’t an All-Star that particular season.
- .355 BA 1945 - which led the majors. Evers is next at .341 BA 1912
- Billy Williams snapped the “Cubs-less” streak in 1972 with a .333 BA
- 1945 SLG .500, with only 6 HR
- He was an AS 1944, 1946-48. The ASG was not played in 1945 - his MVP season.
FCR - Doug Greenwald San Francisco, CA
Q. Who was inducted into the PCL Hall of Fame, largely on the strength of his remarkable 1934 season?
Hint: Among players who batted under .300 for their career, he has the highest average that does NOT round up to .300.
Hint: He was inducted into the PCL Hall of Fame, largely on the strength of his remarkable 1934 season.
Hint: He concluded his National League career with a single pinch-hit appearance in the 1943 World Series.
Hint: He drove in a run but did not get credit for an RBI.
Hint: His major league career ended the following June, after crossing town and switching leagues.
- 40/40, PCL triple crown and MVP in 1934. Some considere the 1934 LA Angels PCL team the best minor leaguee team in history.
- 299469, just ahead of Carl Furillo at .299467
- 0-1 (reached on error, drove in an UER) in 1943 World Series Game 4
- 16 games for 1944 SLA
FCR - Don Wells Bartlett, TN
SATURDAY EVENING SPECIAL
Q. Who is the only Cubs manager to come within one win of taking a World Series they lost?
Hint: Alas, no Cubs manager has come close since.
Hint: He has the most wins - and losses - of any modern era Cubs manager.
Hint: He accumulated over 1000 games as a player for the North Side team.
- 1945 Cubs lost 4-3 to DET, the only time the Cubs reached 3 wins in a losing cause.
- It was the last year the Cubs made the Fall Classic.
- 946-782 in 14 seasons. Anson was 1282-932 all 19th century.
- 1925-36 he played in 1334 games with the Cubbies.
FCR - Dave Serota Kalamazoo, MI
SUNDAY SUN RISE
Hint: Who was the battery mate for the 1945 NL pitching wins leader, both of whom were selected for their only All-Star team - a game that was never played?
Hint: He once won a WS ring while appearing in only one game, with one plate appearance, one hit and one RBI for the entire series.
Hint: This series was the first of three consecutive in which he accumulated four hits in 7 AB, 3 RBI, and not a single strike out.
Hint: He won two rings during this streak, but he also failed to score a single run.
A. KEN O’DEA
- 1945 ASG cancelled due to the war effort, but players were selected. Red Barrett of STL led the NL with 23 wins. Neither would again be an All-Star.
- Game 1 1942 WS 9th inning single and RBI.
- He was in the 1942-44 WS all for STL, where the Cards won in ‘42 and ‘44.
FCR - Chuck Hilty Reston, VA
Q. After his time in the outfield with the Cubs, who tried his hand at pitching with the Phillies?
Hint: He ended his pitching career with a repectable 4.50 ERA.
Hint: A world war interrupted his career and an injury saw an end to his major league career after 5 seasons.
Hint: However, he followed that with 7 productive years in the AAA Pacific Coast League.
Hint: In the 5th of those seasons, he was also his team’s manager.
A. JOE MARTY
- Pitched 4 innings of 2-hit relief 30-Jul-1939.
- In the majors 1937-41
- Subsequently in the minors with the Sacramento Solons of the Pacific Coast League 1946-52, managing them as well as playing during the 1950 season.
FCR - Dave Huners Herndon, VA
WEEKLY THEME – The only Cubs players EVER to hit a World Series home run
Batter W.S. G HR Off OP
*Also homered with the Pirates in the 1925 Series
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – Jack Sullivan, Louisville, KY after the Saturday Evening Grimm question.
Questions archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia home page: https://sites.google.com/site/tnfotobbpics/home/horsehide-trivia