Q. Who ranks behind only Cy Young and Walter Johnson in career WAR for pitchers?
Hint: #1 He passed Red Ruffing on the career pitching victories list in the same game where he passed Tom Seaver on the career strikeout list.
Hint: #2 His son hit three times more home runs than doubles in his major league career.
- Ans. Young = 165.6 WAR in 7,356 IP & Johnson = 152.3 WAR in 5,914 ⅓ IP. Clemens = 138.7 pWAR in 4,916 ⅔ IP.
- #1 On 23-Jul-2001 , vs. TOR, Clemens got his 274th W & his 3,641st K. He would then get more than 1,000 additional Ks before retiring not to mention 80 more Ws.
FCR - Rob Emerson, Lowell, Massachusetts
Incorrect guesses: Steve Carlton, Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson
Q. Which hurler reached 3,000 career strikeouts in the fewest innings pitched?
Hint: #1 He led the majors one season, but didn’t even lead the league.
Hint: #2 He is the most recent Hall of Famer to surrender four home runs in an inning.
- Ans. 3,000 K reached on w/2,468th IP.
- #1 In 1998, Johnson had 213 K w/SEA & 166 K w/HOU (then in the NL), traded 31-Jul for a total of 329 for the year. He lead neither league, but led the majors.
- #2 On 21-Aug-2005, in the 4th inning, pitching for NYY, Johnson surrendered HRs to CHW’s Tadahito Iguchi, Aaron Rowand, Paul Konerko & Chris Widger.
FCR - Gerald Price, Lancaster, California
Incorrect guesses: Bert Blyleven, Fergie Jenkins
IN MEMORIAM —03-Aug
Q. Who was the longest-tenured broadcaster with a single team in professional sports history?
Hint: #1 In one of the first games he broadcast, his team played an exhibition game against Connie Mack and the A's. Overlapping with Mack that day, those two accounted for 130 continuous years of major league service.
Hint: #2 He called Don Larsen's, Sandy Koufax's and Dennis Martinez's perfect games.
Hint: #3 He broadcast Don Drysdale's 58⅔-inning scoreless streak as well as Orel Hershiser's 59 scoreless innings to break Drysdale's record.
Hint: #4 Among the most treasured calls in baseball history, his call of Hank Aaron's 715th home run stands out: “A black man is getting a standing ovation in the Deep South for breaking a record of an all-time baseball idol. It is a great moment for all of us and particularly for Henry Aaron.”
Hint: #5 He received the Ford C. Frick Award and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, both in 1982.
Hint: #6 In 2016 he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Hint: #7 “Hi, everybody, and a very pleasant good evening to you, wherever you may be.”
- Ans. Radio/television broadcaster for the Brooklyn/LA Dodgers, 1950-2016)
- #1 Connie Mack 1886-1950, Scully 1950-2016
- #4 Aaron’s 715th
- #6 Farewell, Vin, wherever you may be.
FCR - Michael McCroskey, Sugar Land, Texas
Q. Who was the first pitcher to surrender three home runs to one player on Opening Day?
Hint: #1 Four years earlier, to the day, he became the youngest player to appear in a major league game for his young franchise.
Hint: #2 There is no truth to the rumor that he was going to change his name to reflect his dedication to baseball’s history.
- Ans. On 04-Apr-1988, George Bell homered thrice off Saberhagen in Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City.
- #1 On 04-Apr-1984, at 19 years, 11 months, 24 days old, Saberhagen became the youngest player in Kansas City Royals history and the first teenager. He pitched 4⅔ innings in relief of Paul Splittorff.
- #2 It’s S-A-B-E-Rhagen and was never SABRhagen.
FCR - Steve Berman, Bergenfield, New Jersey
Incorrect guesses: George Bell, Dwight Gooden, Karl “Tuffy” Rhodes, Joe Nuxhall
Q. Who won his three hundredth career pitching victory thirty-seven years ago today?
Hint: #1 He once famously said, “l learned more in one year at _____ under Coach ______ than I would have in two or three seasons in the low minors.”
Hint: #2 Ken Griffey, Jr. broke a record of his that many thought would never be broken.
- #1 Seaver played for USC in his home state of California under college Hall of Fame coach Rod Dedeaux.
- #2 The percent of Hall of Fame ballot that put Seaver in the Hall of Fame in 1992, 98.8% stood as the highest until Griffey’s 99.3% in 2016. Even that has now been topped twice.
FCR - Doug Christy, Sarasota
Incorrect guesses: Gaylord Perry, Phil Niekro, Tom Glavine, Steve Carlton
Q. Which pitcher led all three triple crown categories, not just for his league, but for the majors, and couldn’t even break into the top five in MVP voting in his league?
Hint: #1 He had the third-most league MVP votes on his own team!
Hint: #2 He wanted to be an outfielder, but scouts and coaches found his arm to valuable and switched him to the mound.
Hint: #3 Before the outfield, he had been a standout at shortstop until he discovered that there are no left-handed shortstops in the majors.
- Ans. IN 2006 Santana had a 19-6 record, an ERA of 2.77 & 245 Ks but came in 7th in AL MVP voting.
- #1 Finished behind Justin Morneau, who won, & 6th place finisher Joe Mauer. Neither had any dark ink in the categories most used for such evaluations.
- #2 Apparently he adapted well.
- #3 The last left-handed thrower to play shortstop on defense in a major league game happened a quarter century before Santana was born. Check out this 1954 G.
FCR - Benjamin Chase, Huron, South Dakota
Incorrect guesses: Sam McDowell, Randy Johnson, Steve Carlton, Lefty Grove, Dave Stieb, Hal Newhouser, Bob Lemon, Lefty Gomez, Don Sutton, Whitey Ford, Warren Spahn
Q. Who was the most hatted Rookie of the Year?
Hint: #1 The tiny college he attended also produced another multiple-time All-Star pitcher.
Hint: #2 His brilliance on the mound has often been interrupted by physical ailment that often required medical attention and lengthy stretches out of the rotation during the season.
- Ans. NL ROY in 2014. Played for the Stetson University Hatters in college.
- #1 Stetson has four campuses with a total of 4,000 enrolled students. Corey Kluber attended, slight before deGrom.
- #2 (I’ve lost count. His agent probably knows.)
FCR - A.J. Manuzzi, Indianapolis
Incorrect guesses: Joe Charboneau, Mark Fidrych, Zack Greinke, Chipper Jones, Stephen Strasburg, Corey Kluber, Todd Worrell, Dave Righetti
Q. Who pulled ahead of Pedro and will catch Roger with the next one?
Hint: #1 He is the final entrant in this week’s theme.
Hint: #2 The theme is open-ended. It’s complete for now but it could be added to in the future.
- Ans. Scherzer has struck out at least 10 batters in a game 109 X, 5 X this year. Until yesterday’s G, he was tied with Pedro Martinez at 108. The next highest is Roger Clemens who has 110 such. Scherzer is a threat to strike out every time he toes the rubber.
- #1 &2 See below
FCR - Terry Sloope, Cartersville, Georgia
Incorrect guesses: Justin Verlander, Charlie Morton, Clayton Kershaw
WEEKLY THEME – Expanders X 2 CYA. Pitchers who’ve won more than one Cy Young Award with a team that came into existence since 1960.
Pitcher Team Dates of CYAs Career WAR
*Unanimous (Both of deGrom’s were 1 vote shy of unanimous.)
Year Bolded means led league or MLB in WAR for pitchers
First Correct Respondent identifying theme – Nary a soul.
Incorrect theme guesses:
Mon - Players from The Simpsons “Homer at the Bat” episode
- Oldest pitchers to win ERA titles
Tues - Pitchers who won 20 games for a last place team
Wed - Pitchers with > 3000 strikeouts
- Winners of 3 or more Cy Young awards
Thurs - Pitchers with multiple Cy Young awards who have also pitched for a New York team
- Won the CYA and WS in the same year
Fri - Pitchers to play for a NY team and win two or more career Cy Young Awards
- Pitchers with multiple Cy Young Awards
- Pitchers to win the CYA and the clinching game of the World Series in the same season
- Won multiple Cy Young awards for the same team
- Multiple CYA award winners
Sat - Multiple Cy Young award winners who were on the same team as other multi-year Cy Young award winners
- Multi-Cy Young award winners who have led MLB in ERA since 1970
Sun - Multiple Cy Young winners who pitched for the Metropolitans during their careers
- Pitchers with over 1000 innings and have averaged more than 9 strikeouts per inning.\
- Pitchers who have more than 1500 strikeouts in their first 200 starts.
If you know someone who would enjoy receiving daily Horsehide Trivia questions, Have them start by clicking here.
This week’s quiz archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia encourages independent research.