Q. Who has had the longest consecutive game hitting streak since Pete Rose?
Hint: #1 That same year, hitting streak records were set and even though he didn’t set any of them, he had a longer streak.
Hint: #2 A man who would not be deterred, he once stole three bases in one inning and on another occasion had five hits in a World Series game.
- #1 Benito Santiago’s 34 straight G set records that season for a.) Longest consecutive-game hitting streak by a catcher; b.) Longest consecutive -game hitting streak by a rookie; and c.) Longest consecutive-game hitting streak by a San Diego Padre.
FCR - Kevin Epstein, San Antonio
Incorrect guesses: John McGraw, Casey Stengel, Luis Castillo, Benito Santiago, Jackie Bradley, Jr., Derek Jeter, Jimmy Rollins, Robin Ventura, Rickey Henderson
Q. Whose bat speed put a lump in the throats of many major league pitchers?
Hint: #1 He hit at least twenty-five home runs for each of six major league teams.
Hint: #2 He was the first player to hit a home run in a 1-0 game three times in a season.
Hint: #3 His uncle was a National League Cy Young Award winner.
- #1 He hit as many as 43 HR for LAD in 2000;
42 HR for FLA in 1996;
39 HR for ATL in 2003;
36 HR or NYY in 2004;
33 HR for SDP in 1992; &
25 HR for DET in 2007.
- #3 Uncle Dwight Gooden won the CYA unanimously in 1985.
FCR - Frank Stephenson, Rome Georgia
Incorrect guesses: Reggie Sanders, Fred McGriff, Paul Molitor, Don Baylor, Davey Lopes, Dick Allen, Duke Snider, Julio Franco
Q. Who was the first player with a 30/30 season for the Philadelphia Phillies?
Hint: #1 He was also the second.
Hint: #2 He is the only South American to win the Home Run Derby.
Hint: #3 He shares an impressive statistical mash-up with Barry Bonds, Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, Craig Biggio, Honus Wagner and Paul Molitor.
- Ans. In 2001 Abreu’s stats were 31 HR & 36 SB.
- #1 In 2004 his numbers were 30/40. Jimmy Rollins is the only other player in the Phillies’ 140-year history with a 30/30 season.
- #2 He won the HRD in 2005, soundly defeating Ivan Rodriguez in the final round. Abreu is from Venezuela.
- #3 These players each own 900 career extra-base hits & 400 stolen bases.
FCR - Mike Kositch, Portland, Oregon
Incorrect guesses: Jimmy Rollins, Juan Samuel,
Q. Who was the first Angels player to switch-hit home runs in a game?
Hint: #1 He is the only player to hit three grand slams in the space of a week and a half in the last season of his major league career.
Hint: #2 He played in three World Series and took home a ring every time.
- Ans. HR from each side in Pittsburgh 23-Jun-1987. White played for CAL 1985-1990.
- #1 Playing for MIL in the month of May 2001, Devo hit a grand slam on each of the 10th, 15th & 20th(1). They came off the pitching of Felix Heredia, Amaury Telemaco & Terry Mulholland, respectively. [Heredia & Telemaco had been teammates of White’s.]
FCR - Adam Balutis, Arlington, Virginia
Incorrect guesses: Chili Davis, Tori Hunter, Tim Salmon
Q. Whose major league career lasted seventeen seasons during which he took home five World Series rings?
Hint: #1 His batting title came in the only season he got enough votes for MVP to put him in the top five.
Hint: #2 He is the only player on the winning team in three perfect games.
- #1 He hit .359 in strike-shortened1994 and was 5th in AL MVP voting.
- #2 A.) He was in RF for CIN for Tom Browning's perfect game in 1988;
B.) He caught the RF fly ball to seal the deal for David Wells’s perfecto in 1998;
C.) he made a diving catch in RF & doubled in service of David Cone's gem in 1999.
FCR - Michael Schneider, Wilmington, Delaware
Incorrect guesses: Paul Householder, Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, Yogi Berra, Tommy Davis, David Cone
Q. Which future Cleveland Indian batter was once hit by pitch twice in the first inning?
Hint: #1 He set the record when he hit twelve leadoff home runs in one season.
Hint: #2 He remains the only player to hit leadoff homers in four consecutive games.
- Ans. HBP X2 = 1st inning, 23-May-1999, both thrown by pitcher Mike Morgan who was promptly relieved of his duties after the second one. Anderson finished his playing career with CLE in 2002.
- #1 Anderson hit 12 leadoff HR in 1996, passing Bobby Bond’s 11, set 23 years prior. Alfonso Soriano passed Anderson w/13 in 2003 and is now the record holder.
- #2 Leadoff HR in 4 straight G = 18-21-Apr-1996.
FCR - Jeff Orner, York, Pennsylvania
Incorrect guesses: Marquis Grissom, Ian Kinsler, Kenny Lofton, Rickie Henderson, Alfonso Soriano
Q. Who was the first player to collect ten RBI in one National League Division Series?
Hint: #1 He was Barry Bonds’s teammate when they each hit a home run in both the first and second games of a World Series.
Hint: #2 He was hit by a pitch from Pedro Martinez, spoiling the pitcher’s chance for a perfect game.
- Ans. Ten years after the LDS playoffs were introduced, Sanders drove in 10 for STL in 2005, helping the Cards end SDP’s season.
- #2 On 13-Apr-1994 in Montreal, Pedro Martínez hit Anderson with a pitch with 1 out in the 8th inning, ending the Pedro’s bid for a perfect game. Sanders responded by charging the mound, igniting a bench-clearing brawl. Many thought Sanders foolish for believing that a pitcher would abandon an attempt at a perfect game to intentionally hit a batter. Martinez did lead MLB in HBP that season.
FCR - Dave Williams, Glastonbury, Connecticut
Incorrect guesses: Jeff Kent, Rich Aurelia, Will Clark
WEEKLY THEME – Players at least 35 years old when the season started with 20 HR & 20 SB that year
Player Age Season SB/HR WAR/Yr WAR/Career
Abreu............ 36........ 2010......... 24/20............ 1.9.......... 60.2
Anderson...... 35........ 1999......... 36/24............ 5.9.......... 35.0
Molitor........... 36........ 1993......... 22/22............ 5.6.......... 75.7
O’Neill........... 38........ 2001......... 22/21............ 4.9.......... 38.9
Sanders........ 36........ 2004......... 21/22............ 1.5.......... 21.5
Sheffield........ 38........ 2007......... 22/25............ 3.0.......... 60.5
White............ 35........ 1998......... 22/22............ 3.8.......... 47.3
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Incorrect theme guesses:
Monday - MLB Managers who were never a Player/Manager with the most MLB Hits
Tues - First round draft picks of the Milwaukee Brewers who were All-Stars
- Brewers, (or maybe 1st round draft choices by the Brewers) who played over 20 years in the majors
- First-round draft picks of the Brewers
- Is this week's theme highest career WAR by a player who played his first major league game with the Milwaukee Brewers
Wed - Most stolen bases by a designated hitter in a season
- Players with more than 20 Stolen Bases in a season as a Designated Hitter
If you know someone who would enjoy receiving daily Horsehide Trivia questions, Have them start by clicking here.
This week’s quiz archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia encourages independent research.