Q. Who is the most recent player to be a major league teammate with his twin brother?
Hint: #1 David Wells described him as being able to hula hoop in a Cheerio.
Hint: #2 He’s probably the only player who wants to be given an error.
- #1 In his autobiography, Wells described facing Canseco in the minors. When he saw him later, he was surprised at the physical change and wondered what Canseco was eating.
FCR - Brett Moore, Studio City, California
Incorrect guesses: BJ Upton, Aaron Boone, Ozzie Canseco, Barry Bonds, Tyler Rogers
Q. Who’s the most recent first baseman to lead the league in bases stolen?
Hint: #1 He homered in his final game in the majors.
Hint: #2 He holds the Live Ball Era record for most career steals of home.
- Ans. Jackie was 1B in 1947 when he led the NL in SB with 29. Every season leader since has played a different position.
FCR - Philip Trostler, Norwich, Connecticut
Incorrect guesses: Rod Carew, Mel Ott, Frank Chance, Vic Power, Georg Sisler. Lou Gehrig, Marty McManus
Q. Which pitcher had the most strikeouts in a season in the Modern Era among National League righties?
Hint: #1 No retired pitcher in the Modern Era put together a better career strikeout-to-walk ratio.
Hint: #1 He lost the first World Series game he ever played in and never got the loss for a World Series game again in his career.
Hint: #2 He credits a World Series MVP winner with making him a pitcher. He later became a world series MVP himself.
- Ans. 319 K for PHI in 1997. His total of 316 K in 2002 for ARI is second on that list.
- #1 He struck out 4.38 batters for every BB he issued.
- #2 Lost Game 1 for the Phillies in 1993 then won his next 6 WS Gs: AZ in 2001, Boston in 2004 & 2007.
- #3 Johnny Podres (1955 WS MVP, the first time the award was given) was a PHI’s pitching coach for Schilling’s 1st 5 seasons there. Schilling said, “Outside of the Lord, my wife and my father, there was no person who impacted my life more than Johnny Podres.” Schilling was the WS MVP in 2001. Both Podres and Schilling famously took down the Yankees in the Fall Classic.
FCR - Preston Salisbury, Starkville, Mississippi
Incorrect guesses: Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Jake Peavey, Tom Seaver, Don Drysdale, Pedro Martinez
MIDWEEK BONUS 26—May
Q. Who held the National League record for consecutive errorless games played in center field until it was broken up by a future Hall of Famer and on his own team no less?
Hint: #1 He collected the first MLB hit at Parc Jarry.
Hint: #2 He broke up what might have been the second World Series perfect game with a walk in the 7th.
- Ans. Flood’s 226 straight errorless games at CF ended 04-Jun-1967 when he and LF Lou Brock both tried for a fly ball. The ball fell in when they crashed into each other and Flood complained afterwards about this controversial error. Flood's record was surpassed by Darren Lewis in 1993.
- #1 On 14-Apr-1969 in the 1st regular-season G played outside the U.S., Flood was the 2nd batter in the top of the 1st inning. He doubled to left. The Expos won the G though, 8-7.
FCR - Eric Savage, Short Hills, New Jersey
Incorrect guesses: Jim Wynn, Willie Davis, Willie Mays, Dale Murphy, Marquis Grissom
Q. Who hit the first World Series homer in Yankee Stadium?
Hint: #1 In his major league debut game he had four hits and a walk. That walk was the only time he went to bat from the other side of the plate in career of more than 4,000 at-bats.
Hint: #2 He was the first Dodger to lead the National League in on-base percentage.
- Ans. G 1, 1923 WS, 9th inning: An inside-the-park game-winner.
- #1 He got 4 singles in a G vs. PIT 17-Sep-1912. Opposing manager Fred Clarke called him a fresh busher and challenged him to hit righthanded. He did & drew a walk.
- #2 Playing for BRO in 1914, the first year they were called the Robbins, Stengel posted a nifty .404 OBP.
FCR - Randall Chandler, Germantown, Tennessee
Incorrect guesses: Babe Ruth
Q. Which owner of a nineteen-strikeout game has the fewest total career strikeouts?
Hint: #1 In a seventeen-year career he received Cy Young Award votes five times, while playing for four different teams.
Hint: #2 He once had exactly three at bats for each of four consecutive seasons.
- Ans. 19 Ks for NYM in a 7-0 game vs. PHI 06-Oct-1991. 2,668 career Ks.
- #2 3 AB in 1997, 1998, 1999 & 2000. He then averaged 3 each for his next 2 years.
FCR - Warren Kent, Whitehall, Michigan
Incorrect guesses: Hugh Daily, Bill Gullickson, Tom Seaver, Tom Cheney, Pedro Martinez, Charlie Sweeney, Kerry Wood, Gaylord Perry, Dwight Gooden
Q. Who surrendered the first base hit to a Texas Rangers batter?
Hint: #1 He would have pitched the second no-hitter for the Atlanta Braves but lost it on a single in the ninth inning.
Hint: #2 He was the first Dodger pitcher to win a Gold Glove.
- Ans. 15-Apr-1972, catcher Hal King hit a single off him, but not until the 7th inning.
- #2 Won GG in 1974 & 75 for LAD.
FCR - Greg Gits, Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Incorrect guesses: Charlie Hough, Claude Osteen, Don Sutton
WEEKEND BONUS 30—May
Q. Who surrendered Wally Moon’s first triple in the majors? It was also the first one he had ever surrendered.
Hint: #1 He was a pitcher who married a pitcher.
Hint: #2 Two players who have been answers so far this week have had their numbers retired. This player wore both those numbers.
- Ans. 1st 3B for Moon = 17-Apr-1954. It was Moon’s 3rd G in MLB, Brosnan’s 2nd G!
- #1 His wife’s maiden name was Anne Stewart Pitcher.
- #2 Uniform numbers: 42 (Jackie Robinson) with the Cubs and Reds, 37 (Stengel) with the Cardinals.
FCR - George Alfano, Redlands, California
Q. Who was the first player to leave the majors for the Mexican League?
Hint: #1 He had one single, one RBI, one walk, one stolen base and one putout in the game where Mel Ott hit his 500th homer?
Hint: #2 He played against Hall of Famers Ray Dandridge, Martin Dihigo and shared a moment there with Babe Ruth.
Hint: #3 He was also a talented opera singer.
- Ans. Gardella had been offered $5,000 to play for NYG and $13,000 to play in Mexico. He joined the Mexican League 19-Feb-1946. Their higher salaries attracted others including major leaguers Sal Maglie, Alex Carrasquel, Max Lanier & Mickey Owen.
- #1 Ott’s 500th HR G = 01-Aug-1945
- #2 Both in 1946 in the Mexican League. Gardella was on the Veracruz team, Dandridge played for the Mexico City Reds and Dihigo played for the Algodoneros de Union Laguna. Babe Ruth also appeared on the field with Gardella that season, participating in a public relations demonstration during which the ailing Babe tossed a few pitches and took batting practice. Reports have it that Ruth shared a cigar with Gardella in the outfield during a game.
- #3 He once crashed a high school prom to sing, and made money singing after he was kicked out of baseball.
FCR - Mary Hums, Louisville, Kentucky
Incorrect guesses: Willard Brown Don Newcombe, Mickey Owen, Sal Maglie
WEEKLY THEME – MLB players who testified under oath.
Player Event Details
Brosnan: Flood vs Kuhn Witness in support of Flood. Testified in court 21-May-1970, https://scholarship.law.nd.edu/curt_flood_trial/1/
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – Dave Jackson, Irving, Texas (after Flood)
Incorrect theme guesses:
Monday - Players to win both AL Rookie of Year and AL MVP
- Players who won Rookie of the Year and MVP
Tuesday -Rookies of the Year
Wed - Players named Curt
If you know someone who would enjoy receiving Horsehide Trivia, please refer them to this site:
This week’s quiz archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia encourages independent research.