Q. Who won the Cy Young Award the year after Cy Young died?
Hint: #1 He hit fifteen home runs and batted .271 in a ten-year MLB career.
Hint: #2 He was the only National League pitcher to steal home during the 1950s.
- #1 He also had 33 2B & 108 RBI in a career that argues against the DH.
- #2 On 26-May-1955, after hitting a 2-run triple, Newcombe stole home off PIT reliever Roy Face for BRO’s final R of the G. Newk then pitched the 9th, securing his 7th W and 3rd SHO of the season. There has only been one other pitcher steal of home in the ensuing 65 seasons. (Reader Elliott Frankfother pointed out that Rick Sutcliffe stole home on 29-Jul-1988, and Darren Dreifort stole home on 12-Jun-2001.)
FCR - Evan Thompson, Mesa, Arizona
Incorrect guesses: Robin Roberts, Warren Spahn, Vern Law
Q. Which one-time Yankee reliever defeated the Yankees in the World Series?
Hint: #1 From 1954 through 1961 he had at least ten complete games each season, one year leading the majors.
Hint: #2 The small town where he was born is known as “a Living Memorial to World War I.”
- #1 His CG totals were 13, 11, 16, 14, 19, 20, 18 & 14 1954-61.
- #2 Born in Nitro, West Virginia. The name comes from nitrocellulose, the main ingredient in smokeless gunpowder, produced there during The Great War.
FCR - Dave Jackson, Irving, Texas
Incorrect guesses: Bobby Shantz, Don Larsen, Ralph Terry
Q. Whose record for most career strikeouts by a left-handed American League pitcher did CC Sabathia break?
Hint: #1 With no score in the sixth inning of a World Series Game Seven, he picked off two runners at first base.
Hint: #2 Capitalized? Very funny!
- Ans. Lolich ended with 2,679 L Ks. Sabathia passed that with his 2,680th in 2017. Sabathia retired with 2,965 AL Ks.
- #1 In the 1968 WS, Lolich nabbed Cardinal speedsters Lou Brock and Curt Flood to thwart a rally and keep the game scoreless. Lolich and DET broke the tie in the very next inning (against the formidable Bob Gibson in his last WS start, no less!) en route to a WS championship.
- #2 Mickey LOL-ich
FCR - Evan Thompson, Mesa, Arizona
Incorrect guesses: Eddie Plank, Randy Johnson, Sam McDowell
MIDWEEK BONUS 22—Apr
Q. Who was the oldest starting pitcher to win an Opening Day game?
Hint: #1 He needed surgery after leading the league two years in a row in winning percentage.
Hint: #2 He beat Larry Bird to school.
- Ans. On Tuesday, 04-Apr-1989, NYY beat MIN 4-2 with John’s 7 innings earning him the W. John was 45 years, 10 months and 13 days old.
- #1 Led the NL w/.696 in 1973 and led MLB w/.813 in 1974, but missed all of 1975 with some medical procedure.
FCR - John Rickert Terre Haute
Incorrect guesses: Charlie Hough, Jack Quinn, Jamie Moyer, Warren Spahn, Nolan Ryan
Q. Who pitched to both Ted Williams and Darryl Strawberry?
Hint: #1 He won Gold gloves playing for three different major league teams.
Hint: #2 He surrendered a home run to Bert Campaneris on the first pitch Campaneris ever saw in the majors.
- Ans. Williams (2 for 3 lifetime vs. Kaat) played from 1939-1960. Strawberry, 1-4 in his 2 G against Kaat, played from 1983-2007. Kaat’s career was 1959-1983.
- #1 Won GG for MIN 1962-72, for CHW 1973-75, for PHI 1976-77 – 16 GG in all. Only Greg Maddux has more.
- #2 Campy’s HR: Top of the 1st 23-Jul-1964. For good measure, he homered again off Kaat in the 7th inning on the 6th pitch he saw in the majors.
FCR - Dan Greder, Ames, Iowa
Q. Which pitcher, who appeared for the Detroit Tigers in their World Championship season, did Max Fried pass in 2020 to now have the best single-season winning percentage?
Hint: #1 Both times he pitched in 68 games in a season, he led the league.
Hint: #2 Trevor Hoffman broke his record for most career relief appearances for one club.
- #1 Appeared 68 times in 1956 & 1960, the former also leading MLB.
- #2 Face had 775 for PIT and Hoffman had 902 for SDP and is the current NL record holder.
FCR - Tom Hablitzel, Hudson, Ohio
Incorrect guesses: John Hiller, Denny McLain, Willie Hernandez, Mickey Lolich, Aurelio Lopez
Q. Which All-Star righty’s substandard first inning prevented his teammate, Orlando Cepeda from being history’s first designated hitter?
Hint: #1 Twice in his career he had scoreless-innings streaks of at least forty innings.
Hint: #2 Frank Robinson showed him where here was.
- Ans. On 06-Apr-1973 at Fenway Park, Tiant loaded the bases full of Yankees in the 1st inning, bringing up the 6th batter, DH Ron Blomberg. Tiant walked him, walking in a run. Cepeda was the 6th batter in the Sawks’ lineup and could easily have been the first DH if the early innings of the opposing pitchers that day, Tiant and Mel Stottlemyre had switched their early-innings experiences. Stottlemyre was in his penultimate season and Tiant was at the height of his career.
- #1 Scoreless streaks of 41 IP in 1968 then 40 IP in 1972. Walter Johnson (1913 and '18) is the only other pitcher in baseball history with multiple scoreless streaks of at least 40 innings.
- #2 On 8-May-1966, FRobby became the only player to hit a ball completely out of Baltimore’s Memorial Stadium when he got a hold of a Tiant fastball. The Orioles commemorated the feat by placing a flag at the location where the ball left the ballpark. The orange flag had just one word on it: “Here”.
FCR - Lincoln Mitchel, New York :City
Incorrect guesses: Catfish Hunter, Juan Marichal, Gaylord Perry, Jim Lonborg, Mel Stottlemyre
WEEKEND BONUS 24—Apr
Q. Which Orioles pitcher returned to the clubhouse after being shelled in a game, only to tear the clubhouse apart when he found that someone had stolen his Flash Gordon comic book?
Hint: #1 He holds the record for the current Baltimore Orioles for the most losses in a season.
Hint: #2 His manager that year said, “The only thing (he) fears is sleep.”
Hint: #3 His avian nickname had nothing to do with the fact that he’d played for the Orioles.
- Ans. On 19-Jul-1954, BOS hung 8 ER on Larsen in just over 3 innings. People seek different balms when bombed.
- #1 In 1954, Larsen had a record of 3-21, to lead the majors in that latter department.
- #3 His nickname, Gooney Bird, was given to him by his Yankees teammates in recognition of his widely known rambunctiousness.
FCR - Elliott Frankfother, Rock Falls, Illinois
Incorrect guesses: Steve Barber, Fred Glade, Pat Dobson
Q. Who was the only rookie pitcher to win three games in one World Series?
Hint: #1 He once pitched every inning of a twenty-one inning game and didn’t issue a single base-on-balls.
Hint: #2 Since the beginning of the twentieth century, no pitcher has pitched at least 250 inning in a season where he walked fewer than 20—except this guy.
Hint: #3 He was on the wrong side of one of history’s most notable victories.
Hint: #4 One look at him tells you how he got his nickname.
- #1 In a classic matchup with the Gants’ Rube Marquard on 17-Jul-1914, both starters pitched the whole game. 2 NYG batters, Dave Robertson & Fred Merkle, were each 0 for 8 against Adams.
- #2 In 1920, Adams threw 263 innings and walked exactly 18 batters.
FCR - Elliott Frankfother, Rock Falls, Illinois
Incorrect guesses: Ralph Branca, Mordecai Brown, Mickey Lolich, Chief Bender, Sal Maggie, Christy Mathewson
WEEKLY THEME – Pitchers with fifteen years on the Hall of Fame ballot, but never elected and still not in.
Pitcher Career WAR
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – David Washburn, Marietta, Georgia (after Tommy John)
Incorrect theme guesses:
Tuesday - Players in the first game there were more black than white players on the field
- Pitchers who hit two or more home runs in a game two times or more in their career
- Pitchers who have hit 2 home runs in a game
- Pitchers who got MVP votes in their 20's, but didn't get Cy Young Award votes until their 30's
Wed - Victorious pitchers who hit home runs in World Series games
- Theme is players who should be in the hall of fame
- 250 game winners not in Hall of Fame
- HoF eligible pitchers with 200+ wins that are not in the HoF
Thu - Modern-era pitchers who have won the most games w/o being elected to the HOF
- Non-HOF LHP with highest WAR
- Non-HOF LHP with highest WAR in the "live-ball era
Fri - Left-handers who have the most wins but are not in the HOF
Sat - Pitched in a memorable World Series game
If you know someone who would enjoy receiving Horsehide Trivia, please refer them to this site:
This week’s quiz archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia encourages independent research.