Sunday, November 27, 2011

November 21-27, 2011 Major leaguers who appeared on the cover of "Sports Illustrated" in 1955, its first full year of publication.


MONDAY
Q.         Who said, “I think I was the best ballplayer I ever saw.”
Hint:     Willie McCovey said, “He was the finest player I ever saw, make no mistake about it.”
Twint:    Leo Durocher said, “He’s Joe Louis, Jascha Heifetz, Sammy Davis and Nashua rolled into one.”
A.         Willie Mays
First Correct Respondent - Alan Work, White Plains, NY

IN MEMORIAM
Q.         Who is the career home run leader among players born in Netherlands?
Hint:     His 35 minor league home runs in 2010 led the entire Mariners franchise (including the Major and minor league teams).
Hint:     He was part of the European Big League Tour in Netherlands earlier this month.
Hint:     He played for the Gold Medal-winning Dutch team in the 2007 European Championship and also for the Dutch team in the 2009 WBC.
Twint:    His sister is a professional basketball player in Europe.
Twint:    His father won a silver medal with the Dutch national baseball team in the 1979 European Championship.
A.         Greg Halman (2 HR, Robert Eenhoorn is the only other Netherlands native to hit a ML HR; sister Naomi Halman plays for Canary Islands)
FCR -    Paul Hirsch, Danville, CA

TUESDAY
Q.         Who said, “Slump?  I ain’t in no slump.  I just ain’t hitting!”
Hint:     Mel Ott said, “He stopped everything behind the plate, and hit everything in front of it.”
Twint:    Paul Richards said, “He’s the toughest man in the league in the last three innings.”
A.         Yogi Berra
FCR -    J.R. Richardson, Clarksville, MD

WEDNESDAY
Q.         Who said, “If there ever has been a man born to be a hitter, it was me.”
Hint:     Stan Musial said, “He was the greatest hitter of our era.”
Twint:    Carl Yastrzemski said, “He studied hitting the way a broker studies the stock market.”
A.         Ted Williams
FCR -    Peter Mitchell, Mission Viejo, CA

MIDWEEK BONUS
Q.         Who said, “I’m a great BP pitcher.  Now I realize I was throwing BP the last few years of my career.”
Hint:     Ted Williams said, “He had the best fastball of any left-hander I ever faced.”
Twint:    Tris Speaker said, “If nothing happens to this kid, he’s going to be one of the best who ever pitched.”
A.         Herb Score
FCR -    Russ Lake, Champaign, IL

THURSDAY
Q.         Who said, “I don’t care much for Halloween because its colors remind me of the Giants.”
Hint:     About him future Giants manager Roger Craig said, “He was a great defensive player.  He could jump higher than any outfielder I ever saw.”
Twint:    Gene Mauch opined, “He looked better striking out than any of us did hitting a triple.”
A.         Duke Snider
FCR -    Christopher Bell, New York

THANKFULLY:  A DOUBLE-HARBAUGH BONUS
Q.         Who said, “As long as I have a chance to beat you, I’m going to take it.”
Hint:     Tommy Lasorda said, “He was my idol.  He had an electrifying personality, and he was the most aggressive manager I’ve ever seen.”
Twint:    Branch Rickey said, “He had the ability to take a bad situation and make it immediately worse.”
A.         Leo Durocher
FCR -    Russ Lake, Champaign, IL

FRIDAY
Q.         Who pointed out, “There was anti-Semitism throughout my playing days, and it came from the stands, it came from the managers, the coaches and players.”?
Hint:     Cleveland columnist Hal Lebovitz said, “He was like Albert Belle in that he was a perfectionist and very emotional.”
Twint:    Casey Stengel said, “He’ll give you the works every time:  Gets all the hits, gives you the hard tag in the field.  That feller’s a real competitor.”
A.         Al Rosen
FCR -    Henry Hascup, Lodi, NJ

SATURDAY
Q.         Who said, “I throw the ball as hard as ever, it just takes longer to get to the plate.”
Hint:     Kansas City columnist Bill Vaughn said, “He’s a pretty good pitcher for a hitter.”
Twint:    Maury Wills (recovered from alcohol and cocaine addictions) said, “I’m standing here with the man who saved my life. He was a channel for God’s love for me because he chased me all over Los Angeles trying to help me.”
A.         Don Newcombe
FCR -    Randall Chandler, Germantown, TN

SUNDAY
Q.         Who said, “Perhaps the truest axiom in baseball is that the toughest thing to do is repeat.”?
Hint:     Vin Scully said, “I always imagined him as the type of guy who would ride shotgun on a stagecoach through Indian country.”
Twint:    Sparky Anderson said, “He’s my hero.  He’s inconspicuous and the players do the job.”
A.         Walter Alston
FCR -    Henry Hascup, Lodi, NJ


WEEKLY THEME – Major leaguers who appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1955, its first full year of publication.

Alston            26-Sep
Berra             11-Jul
Durocher        11-Apr
Mays             11-Apr
Rosen            18-Apr
Score            30-May
Snider            27-Jun
Williams         01-Aug


First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – Gregg Gaylord, Chicago (after the Durocher question)

No comments:

Post a Comment