Monday, July 22, 2019
2019-07-15 BLTR Batters who led the NL in HR (Min. 40)
Q. Who was the first National League player in the modern era to hit four home runs in one game?
Hint: He was the first outfielder voted Most Valuable Player by the BBWAA, as it is done today.
Hint: No other outfielder in any league in the modern era had more outfield assists than he did in the season where he also led the majors in total bases. Both were personal bests.
- 4 HR 10-Jul-1936, 10-inning G
- NL MVP 1932, by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. No other player received even 1 1st-place vote and all for 4th-place PHI.
- 44 OF A in 1930 w/445 TB (4th best all-time)
FCR - Mike Eisenbath, St. Charles, Missouri
Incorrect guesses: Willie Mays, Ed Delahanty, Roberto Clemente, Joe Medwick, Joe Adcock, Mel Ott, May’s
Q. Who was the first player to hit thirty home runs for each of six consecutive seasons for the Cleveland Indians?
Hint: He once hit a home run in each of seven consecutive games.
Hint: Ryan Howard broke his franchise record for most RBI by a Phillie in an expansion‑era season.
Hint: He retired as an Oriole before catching up to Reggie.
- 30+ HR 1996-2001 for CLE
- 7 straight G w/HR 25-Jun through 03-Jul-2002.
- 131 RBI for PHI in 2003. Howard broke it 4 X, 2006-09.
FCR - Frank Prusik, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Incorrect guesses: Jim Gentile, Albert Belle, Cola Vito, Rocky Colavito, All Rosen (sic), Greg Luzinski, Manny Ramirez
Q. Who is the youngest position player ever to make a major league All-Star team?
Hint: It wasn’t until his fourth season in the Bigs that he faced a pitcher younger than he was.
Hint: He is one of only seven 22-year-olds to hit 40 home runs in a season.
A. BRYCE HARPER
- 19 yrs old for ASG in 2012. He walked and struck out.
- Faced Jacob Lindgren on 10-Jun-2015. It was Lindgren’s 6th & penultimate G in MLB. He is 5 months younger than Harper 12-Mar-1993 to Harper’s 16‑Oct‑1992.
- The other 6 are Johnny Bench, Joe DiMaggio, Juan Gonzalez, Eddie Mathews, Mel Ott & Alex Rodriguez.
FCR - Dan Silverberg, Aventura, Florida
Incorrect guesses: Al Kaline, Andrew Jones, Tony Conigliaro, Alex Rodriguez, Mel Ott, Ken Griffey, Jr., Eddie Mathews, Robin Yount
Q. What one-time Detroit Tiger twice led the National League in home runs?
Hint: He was the first player to hit two home runs in each of two different opening day games.
Hint: He was over .500 as a manager only in his final season.
- 50-49 for the 1974 Braves
FCR - R. D. Lerner, Silver Spring, Maryland
Incorrect guesses: Rusty Staub, Jim Thome, Norm Cash, Kirk Gibson, Darrell Evans, Frank Howard, Hank Greenberg
Q. Who once set a record of 92 RBI, then the fewest recorded in a 40-home-run season?
Hint: He was the first player to hit his 400th career home run playing for the Mets.
Hint: He once blurted out, live over the air on a radio broadcast, boasting of his own slugging prowess at the plate, on a Ford Motor Company Broadcast no less, that “The Cadillacs are down at the end of the bat.”
Hint: No National Leaguer has more World Series home runs.
- 1957 = 40 HR, 92 RBI (Fewer RBI had now been hit in a 40-HR season by Ken Griffey, Jr. in 1994, Barry Bonds in 2003; Mike Trout in 2015 and Joey Gallo in 2017 with a remarkable 41 HR and only 80 RBI!)
- 11 WS HR
FCR - Jerry Miller, Liberty Hill, Texas
Incorrect guesses: Dave Kingman, Gil Hodges, Al Kaline, Willie Mays, Mike Piazza, George Foster, Ralph Kiner, Carlos Beltran
Q. Who was the first National League left-handed batter to slug fifty home runs in a season?
Hint: He homered three times for the Yankees in the same World Series when he was almost 40 years old.
Hint: He was runner-up in the MVP balloting in consecutive seasons.
Hint: He would receive MVP votes a total of nine additional times in his career without ever winning the award.
- 51 HR in 1947
- WS HR X 3 for NYY 1952
- Consecutive MVP runner-up seasons (1939-1940)
FCR - Charlie Fouche, Dalton, Georgia
Incorrect guesses: Jim Thome, Ralph Kiner, Mel Ott
Q. Who had a thirty/thirty season at thirty?
Hint: He was the first player from his country to win an MVP.
Hint: He was the first National Leaguer to have an extra-base hit in six consecutive plate appearances.
- Was 30/30 @ 30. At 30 yrs old in 1997 hit 49 HR and stole 33 bases.
FCR - Duncan Crowl, San Juan Capistrano, California
Incorrect guesses: Sammy Sosa, Roberto Clemente, Alfonso Soriano, Cedeno, Vlad Guerrero, Shawn Green, Andre Dawson, Barry Bonds, Orlando Cepeda,
Q. Who was the youngest player in major league history to hit 50 home runs in a season?
Hint: Though an Ontario native, he attended high school in Melbourne.
Hint: His nickname was “Uncle Phil”.
- Hit 50 HR at age 23 in 2007.
- Born in the city of Ontario, California; Went to HS in Melbourne, Florida.
- Teammate Delino DeShields (fils) nicknamed Fielder “Uncle Phil” based on the alleged resemblance with the avuncular character of the same name on the television show, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, played by actor James Avery.
FCR - J.P. Wanamaker, Binghamton, New York
Incorrect guesses: Jimmie Foxx, Mickey Mantle, Phil Nevin, Phil Cavarretta
WEEKLY THEME – National League BLTR season home run leaders (Minimum 40)
Fielder........ 50...... 2007
Harper........ 42...... 2015
Klein.......... 43...... 1929
Mathews.... 47...... 1953
................... 46...... 1959
Mize........... 43...... 1940
Snider........ 43...... 1956
Thome....... 47...... 2003
Walker....... 49...... 1997
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – Sam Bass, Decatur, Georgia
Incorrect theme guesses:
Monday - Prayer that won the betting triple crown (sic)
Friday - Hit grand slams for two or more National League teams
Sat - Players who hit 300 HRs.
- Players who hit HRs for two or more NL teams.
- Player who hit WS home runs.
Sunday - Left handed batters
- Pretty good lefthanded hitters with over 40 in year
- They all were first basemen
- Kings of the three great outcomes
- Players who led league in OBP and Slugging in same year
- Bats L Throws R players who led league in Slugging.
- BL TR
- They all batted left handed but threw right handed
- They were all right-handers who taught themselves how to bat left-handed.
- Players with 200+ home runs and 500+ strike outs
- players who Bat left, throw right and hit 40 or more Home runs.
- How about left handed hitter who led the league in HR and RBI in the same season
- All bat left, throw right power hitters
- They were all left handed hitters
- They're all players who hit lefty but threw righthanded and hit at least 40 hr in a season for an NL team. They also all were named All Stars at least twice.
- All wired backwards and hit left-handed while throwing properly right handed
- All hit at least 400 home runs batting lefty, but throwing righty
- Left handed homerun champions and strikeout leaders
Questions archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia home page: https://sites.google.com/site/tnfotobbpics/home/horsehide-trivia