Q. Who is the only Giants manager, New York or San Francisco, with more than 1,000 games managed, with a losing record?
Hint: #1 As a player, he was the youngest ever to hit forty home runs in a season.
Hint: #2 For his first three seasons, he was the youngest player in the National League.
- Ans. In the 7 seasons between 1942 & 1948, Ott managed 1,004 NYG games, winning 464, losing 530, finishing higher than 4th only once. [Bruce Bochy’s career managing record w/SFG is at .500, but dips to .497 considering his whole career.]
- #1 In 1929, his 4th (but 2nd full) season in the majors, he hit 42 HR, 20 at home, 22 on the road.
FCR - Jack Fahey, Oak Forest, Illinois
Incorrect guesses: John McGraw, Frank Robinson, Bruce Bochy, Johnny Mize, Joe Altobelli
Q. Who owns the single-season highest RBI total since 1938?
Hint: #1 Eight of those came in a single game.
Hint: #2 He is the only player to have walk-off H against both Dennis Eckersley & Mariano Rivera.
- Ans. Hit 165 RBI w/CLE n 1999. Previous total which exceeded that was Jimmie Foxx’s 175 in 1938.
- #1 8 RBI = 24-Sep-1999
FCR - Steven Harmon, Sacramento
Incorrect guesses: Edgar Martinez, Albert Belle, Kirk Gibson, Juan Gonzalez, Jimmie Foxx, Alex Rodriguez, Frank Thomas, David Ortiz, Sammy Sosa
Q. For whom did Yogi Berra pinch hit when he hit the first pinch-hit home run in World Series history?
Hint: #1 He was the first player for the White Sox to win multiple Gold Gloves.
Hint: #2 He starts out hilarious.
- Ans. Berra replaced Lollar hitting 8th in the top of the 7th inning during G3 of the 1947 WS. The HR drove Ralph Branca from the G. Yogi also replaced Lollar catching in the 7th & 8th.
- #1 Won GG in 1957, 58 & 59.
- #2 Last name begins with “LOL” which is text-speak for “Laughing Out Loud”.
FCR - Elliott Frankfother, Rock Falls, Illinois
Incorrect guesses: Hank Bauer, Aaron Robinson, Eddie Lopat, Moose Skowron, Eddie Robinson, Jim Rivera
MIDWEEK BONUS —18-Aug
Q. After Tommy Holmes in 1945, who was the next left-handed batter to compile a thirty-five game hitting streak?
Hint: #1 He set a major league record with eighty-five total bases by the end of April one season.
Hint: #2 He made a famous, alert defensive play that helped his team win the World Series.
- #1 85 TB by the end of April 2008. Record was broken by Cody Bellinger in 2019.
FCR - Steven Wright, Naperville, Illinois
Incorrect guesses: Fred Merkle, Ron LeFlore, Pete Rose, George Brett, Luis Castillo
Q. Who was the last batter in the twentieth century to claim ten runs batted in during a single game?
Hint: #1 Besides Brian Roberts, he is the only American Leaguer to have multiple seasons of fifty doubles in the last quarter century.
Hint: #2 His batting gloves were loose… apparently.
- Ans. 10 RBI = 10-May-1999. It’s been done 5 X this century.
- #1 Had 51 2B in 2000 & 56 in 2002. Roberts reached 50 2B thrice = 2004, 2008 & 2009.
- #2 He became famous for adjusting the straps on his batting gloves before and during each at bat.
FCR - Michael Shea, Dublin, IRELAND
Incorrect guesses: Mike Cameron, David Ortiz, Kenny Lofton, Mike Hargrove, Albert Belle, Fernando Tatis, Edgar Martinez, Mark Whiten, Garrett Anderson, Alex Rodriguez
IN MEMORIAM —17-Aug
Q. Which player caught the ball for the very last out of major league play before the start of the playoff era?
Hint: #1 He played for only one team in his fifteen-year major league career.
Hint: #2 He was an All-Star eleven times including for ten consecutive seasons.
Hint: #3 He once caught a record fifteen innings of an All-Star game.
Hint: #4 Five times he was awarded a Gold Glove for his defensive prowess.
Hint: #5 He hit his two hundredth and final career home run off George Brett’s brother.
Hint: #6 He was the head coach of the University of Michigan baseball team for seven years after leaving the majors.
Hint: #7 Describing life as a major leaguer, he once said, “The real name of the game is pack and repack.”
- Ans. Won the ’68 WS w/DET. Freehan caught a pop fly from his opposite number, Tim McCarver for the final out of G 7.
- #2 AL AS 1964-73, 75. in 1974 the AL AS C contingent consisted of Thurman Munson (starter), Carlton Fisk, Ed Herrmann, Darrell Porter, and Jim Sundberg. It was the only AS appearance of Herrmann's career.
- #4 GG = 1965-69
- #5 Final HR came off CHW’s Ken Brett on 24-Aug-1976.
- #6 After leaving the majors, he coached at Michigan 1989-95.
- #7 Half of the G in any season are on the road, so…
FCR - Lincoln Mitchell, New York City
Incorrect guesses: Tim McCarver
Q. Who was the first New York Met to receive a vote for league’s Most Valuable Player?
Hint: #1 Earlier, in Rookie of the Year voting, he finished just behind a player who would go on to have 523 more doubles than he had in spite of his having more doubles in their rookie seasons.
Hint: #2 After Jackie Robinson nullified his trade from the Dodgers to the Giants, he was among the next players traded between the two teams.
- Ans. In 1964, Hunt tied with Cardinal pitcher Barney Schultz for 25th place. They had exactly 1 MVP voting point apiece.
- #1 Although his WAR that year was 2.5 to Rose’s 2.4, he finished (way) behind him in ROY votes. However, Hunt swatted 28 doubles to Rose’s 25 that season (1963). Rose ended with 746 doubles, 2nd all-time, to Hunt’s quite respectable 223 (914th).
FCR - Tony Nicolo, Norfolk, Virginia
Incorrect guesses: Charley Neal, Jerry Koosman, Hubie Brooks, Duke Snider
Q. Which one-time Colorado Rockies player from Black Water once hit a home run so high that umpires were amazed to see the ball bounce off the metal plate at the top of the “foul pole”?
Hint: #1 The year he led the league in on-base-percentage was when he won his first Silver Slugger Award.
Hint: #2 Born on Ground Hog Day, he likely thought he was seeing eerie, but welcome repetitions one fine day a John Hopkins Hospital.
- #1 Led AL in 2004 in OBP w/.419. Won his only SS.
- #2 Mora's wife, Gisel, gave birth to quintuplets on 28-Jul-2001 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
FCR - Patrick Ray, Paradise Valley, Arizona
Incorrect guesses: Dale Murphy, Andre Galarraga, Larry Walker, Todd Helton, Michael Cuddyer, Dante Bichette, Jason Giambi
WEEKEND BONUS —22-Aug
Q. Who trails only Joe Medwick in the number of doubles hit in a season by a St. Louis Cardinal?
Hint: #1 Unfortunately he’s also third in career strikeouts.
Hint: #2 He and Cy Young Award winner Jake Arrieta were Horned Frogs together.
- Ans. In 2013, Carpenter had 55 2B. Medwick’s 64 in the 1936 season not only leads all Cards for 2B in a season, but is tied for the 2nd-most all-time.
- #1 His career total of 1,059 Ks trails only those of Lou Brock (1,469) & Ray Lankford (1,449) and could grow by tomorrow.
FCR - Damian Begley, New York City
Incorrect guesses: Albert Pujols, Jim Edmunds
Q. Who was the next Detroit Tiger to collect six hits in a nine-inning game since Hall of Famer George Kell did it in 1946?
Hint: #1 It was exactly two months after he (not Kell) hit for the cycle.
Hint: #2 In his seventeen-year major league career, the only season he was an All-Star was the year he won the Silver Slugger Award.
- #1 Cycle 08-Jun-2001
- #2 AS, SS = 1998. He made the most of his ASG appearance, pinch-hitting for Roger Clemens and getting a H and then scoring. Never needed his glove.
FCR - Ken Kirk, Corning, New York
Incorrect guesses: Hoot Evers, Willie Horton, Jim Fridley, Norm Cash, Hank Greenberg, Ian Kinsler, Jim Northrup, Tony Clark
WEEK’S FINALE —22-Aug
Q. Which one-time Tiger is the only batter with 190 major league home runs, but none with the bases loaded?
Hint: #1 He was the first gaijin to hit a sayonara.
Hint: #2 He serves on the city council in his adopted hometown of Columbus.
- Ans. He had 76 PA with the bases full, but alas… He did hit an impressive 20 3-R HR.
- #2 Now lives and serves in Columbus, Georgia.
FCR - Barry Nelson, Guilderland, New York
Incorrect guesses: Prince Fielder, Randy Bass, Willie Horton, Cecil Fielder, Gates Brown
WEEKLY THEME – All-Star batters hit-by-pitch three times in a single game
First Correct Respondent to Identify Theme – Tom Byrne, Old Greenwich, Connecticut (After Lollar)
Incorrect theme guesses:
Monday - Players who led their team in home runs the most seasons
- Players with the most games played before the age of 30
Tuesday - Players with two consecutive consonants in their last name
- Most MVP votes without winning an MVP
Wed - 3 HBP in a G in 4 or fewer plate appearances
If you know someone who would enjoy receiving daily Horsehide Trivia questions, Have them start by clicking here.
This week’s quiz archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia encourages independent research.