Q. Who is the only player to never finish lower than fifth in MVP voting in every full season he played in the majors, nine straight years?
Hint: #1 He is the only player to be named All-Star Game MVP in back-to-back years.
Hint: #2 He joined the 30/30 Club in his rookie year.
- #2 in 2012 he hit 30 HR and led the majors w/49 SB.
FCR - Doug Christy, Sarasota
Incorrect guesses: Jackie Robinson, Fred Lynn, Roberto Clemente
Q. Which position player has the most walks and strikeouts in the history of the Angels’ franchise?
Hint: #1 He ranks second in nineteen career offensive categories for the Angels.
Hint: #2 During his time in the majors, he led weekly chapel services.
- Ans. 970 BB, 1, 360 K
- #1 Check ‘em out here.
FCR - Preston Salisbury, Starkville, Mississippi
Incorrect guesses: Troy Glaus, Brian Downing, Vlad Guerrero, Garret Anderson, Bobby Grich, Mike Carp, Albert Pujols
Q. Who broke Mark McGwire’s major league record for home runs by a rookie, but lost it two years later?
Hint: #1 He still holds that record, but just for his league.
Hint: #2 In a scant five-season period, he managed to amass thirty-one postseason hits.
- Ans. Hit 52 HR in 2017 for NYY. IN 2017 NYM’s Pete Alonso hit 53 HR in his rookie MLB campaign.
- #1 Alonso now holds the record for MLB rookies, but Judge’s 52 looks good for now.
- #2 Judge ha played in at least 1 postseason game in every one of his 5 full seasons.
FCR - Doug Christy, Sarasota
Incorrect guesses: Giancarlo Stanton, Sammy Sosa
MIDWEEK BONUS —27-Oct
Q. Who was the first player to hit thirty home runs in each of his first four seasons in the major leagues?
Hint: #1 He is the only player ever to average sixty home runs per season over any four-year period while playing for multiple teams in the majors.
Hint: #2 His career record for ratio of at bats per home run, is better even than Babe Ruth’s.
- Ans. Big Mac hit 30+ HR 1987-91: 49, 32, 33 & 39. He also hit 40 or more 6 X.
- #1 From 1996 thru 1999, McGwire totaled 245 HR, averaging 61.25 HR per season.
- #2 McGwire’s 10.61 HR per AB is the best all-time followed by Ruth’s 11.76, Bonds’s 12.92 & Thome’s 13.76.
FCR - Leonard Epstein, Dallas
Incorrect guesses: Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Josh Gibson, Ralph Kiner
Q. Who was the first American League player to hit a home run in each of his first three major league games?
Hint: #1 After Mark McGwire in 1987, he was the next rookie to lead his team in batting average, home runs, runs scored and walks for the season.
Hint: #2 He is the only player from the Southern Conference to win the Baseball America College Player of the Year Award.
Hint: #3 He is also the only player from the Southern Conference to win the Golden Spikes Award.
A. KYLE LEWIS [B-R Bio]
- #1 Led SEA 2020 w/ .262 AVG, 11 HR, 37 R & 34 BB.
FCR - George Alfano, Redlands, California
Incorrect guesses: Lance Berkman, Robin Ventura, Chipper Jones, Frank Thomas, Trevor Story, Juan Gonzalez, Ricky Weeks
THOR’S DAY —28-Oct
Q. Which twenty-seven year-old BRTR first baseman led the majors in slugging and OPS+ as a rookie?
Hint: #1 That year he also led his team in hits, doubles (tie), home runs, RBIs, batting average, on-base percentage, OPS, total bases, hit-by-pitch and intentional bases on balls.
Hint: #2 The first time he parents saw him play in the majors was in an All-Star game.
- Ans. In 2014, Abreu led MLB in SLG w/.581 & OPS+ w/173.
- #1 His number were 176, 35, 36, 107, .317, .383, .964, 323, 11 & 15 respectively.
- #2 Abreu made the ASG for the AL as a rookie . His parents had left Cuba only a few weeks before.
FCR - Warren Kent, Whitehall, Michigan
Incorrect guesses: Jackie Robinson, Walt Dropo, Frank Thomas, Pete Alonso
Q. Who is the only player to hit two grand slams in one game in his home stadium?
Hint: #1 He is in a “club” whose only other members are Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski and Wade Boggs.
Hint: #2 He claims that the wrist injury he suffered was not as a result of the public wrist massaging he gave himself during at-bats.
- Ans. GS X2 at Fenway on 10-May-1999, 1st & 3rd innings.
- #1 Only those 4 have won consecutive AL batting titles for BOS.
- #2 While bending, unbending and re-bending his wrists during at-bats as he tightened and re-tightened his batting gloves, he left the world to wonder whether is was a healthy activity. In September 1999, he was hit by a pitch on his right wrist.
FCR - Madison McEntire, Bryant, Arkansas
Incorrect guesses: Tony Cloninger, Fernando Tatis, Joe Pepitone, Jim Gentile, Bill Mueller, Manny Ramirez, Mark Whiten, Fred Lynn, Mike Greenwell, Von Hayes, Jim Northrup
Q. Who was the first player to win the All-Star MVP and World Series MVP awards in the same season?
Hint: #1 He led the majors in hits twice—once near the beginning of his career and once near the end.
Hint: #2 His name translates to one of the things he is best at.
- #1 Jeter led MLB in H in 1999 w/219 (his 4th full season) and in 2012 w/216 (the 18th season of his 20-season career).
- #2 The verb jeter in French means “to throw”.
FCR - John Null Sugar Land, Texas
Incorrect guesses: Ichiro Suzuki, Kirby Puckett
Q. Who played slightly more than 18,500 innings at catcher in his career in the majors?
Hint: #1 Six more runs batted in would have him on top of the career RBI list for catchers. (Minimum 85% G @ C.)
Hint: #2 After making the All-Star team nine times, he was almost traded to the Yankees to be their full-time designated hitter.
- Ans. Had 18,506 innings at C playing for 2 AL teams.
- #1 W/1,330 career RBI, Fisk lines up very close behind Mike Piazza (1,335) and the other Pudge (1,332).
- #2 Negotiations for a trade for Fisk’s services between CHW & NYY, in exchange for former MVP Don Baylor, ended in a stalemate. Fisk ended his career 9 years later still with the Pale Hose and still catching.
FCR - Elliott Frankfother, Rock Falls Illinois
Incorrect guesses: Ivan Rodriguez, Mike Piazza, Joe Mauer, Ted Simmons, Gary Carter
SATURDAY BONUS —30-Oct
Q. Which All-Star infielder had his AK-47 stolen from his rented home?
Hint: #1 He played for a college where Latin-X students comprise more than three fourths of the student population.
Hint: #2 He hit the 300th home run that Max Scherzer surrendered.
- Ans. Stolen from his spring training residence in Port Charlotte, Florida in late March 2011. Longoria called the AK-47, which he owned legally, “a personal item”.
- #1 Played at Rio Hondo College in North Whittier, California.
FCR - Mike Sparks, Sarasota
WEEKEND BONUS —30-Oct
Q. Who broke Ted Williams’ record as the quickest to tote up fifty career RBI?
Hint: #1 In his second season in the majors, he played in only two games.
Hint: #2 He is the first player in his franchise’s history to homer in his first two games in the majors.
- Ans. Not promoted to the big club until the second week of June, 2019, Alvarez quickly caught up. By the time he had played 45 G, he had 51 RBI, beating the previous record of 47 set by Ted Williams in 1939.
- #1 Álvarez sat out the beginning of the 2020 season after testing positive for COVID-19. He returned 14-Aug-2020. After the 2nd G he had arthroscopic surgery on both knees & didn’t play the rest of the season.
FCR - David Ramsden, Barcelona, Spain
Incorrect guesses: Walt Dropo, Andruw Jones, Kyle Schwarber, Willie Mays
Q. Which one-time New York Mets player is the only major leaguer whose younger brother was voted MVP of an All-Star game?
Hint: #1 A former Padre, he became the first American League rookie to start the All-Star game at catcher, well before his time with the Dodgers.
Hint: #2 His daughter sang the national anthem ahead of the MLB All-Star Futures Game one year.
FCR - Tom Lee, Nashville
Incorrect guesses: Roberto Alomar
WEEKLY THEME – American League rookies elected Rookie of the Year unanimously:
Rookie Team Year
First Correct Respondent identifying theme – David Washburn, Marietta, Georgia (After Judge)
Incorrect theme guesses:
Monday - Players with nicknames associated with a place, i.e., Mike "Millville Meteor" Trout
- Players with animal names
- Highest WAR w/no postseason wins
Tuesday - Fish
- Angel All-Star outfielders
- Select players with fishy names
- Players with fishy names
- Angels in the outfield
- Players whose names are types of fishes
- Angel fish
Wed - Unanimous rookies of the year
- Rookies who won all first place votes for ROY
- Rookies of the year with over 100 strike outs
- Unanimous Rookies of the year with > 100 strike outs
If you know someone who would enjoy receiving daily Horsehide Trivia questions, Have them start by clicking here.
This week’s quiz archived here: http://horsehidetriviA. blogspot.com/
Horsehide Trivia encourages independent research.